sketchup question

I have been searching the internet.. finally got the first part of the problem... still stuck though.

When I orbit, it's been nutssssss... So I found out that there is a gravity option.. Somehow it's supposed to orbit in one plane, but mine is stuck in no gravity mode. Normally you are supposed to hit control on a pc while orbitting to get into that mode.. I am always in that mode, and in order to get out of it, I need to hit control.

I want to get into gravity so I rotate in one plane.. How do I do that? I have tried the perspective, it does not change. Two POINT PERSPECTIVE is unclicked.. tried it but no dice.

Reply to
woodchucker

Think I have found the problem, So everything defaults to the blue axis.

Not sure why when starting to build my blue axis is not in the correct position.

Reply to
woodchucker

I've used a 3DConexxion "SpaceNavigator" with SU for years, which has its own parameters for orbiting using pan, zoom, tilt, spin and roll, so have pretty much forgotten how these things are set in the newer versions of SU, and for different mouse/pointing devices.

You can set many preferences under Window|Model Info, Preferences, & Styles, and you can also save your preferred axis for different Scenes under that "properties to save" heading.

Might be the template you're using. Try setting up an .skp file with the axis, styles, camera, views, etc like you want it, save it as a template and set it as default, and see if that gets you what you want.

Reply to
Swingman

I use several different CAD and CAD-like systems but I seem to recall for sketchup double clicking with the arrow tool in the window sets the focus point for orbiting. That might help.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I'm not quite sure what your problem is but inmodified orbit keeps the horizon level (and verticals vertical) and CTRL+ orbit lets you tilt the horizon (and consequently, the verticals).

Reply to
dadiOH

Where is it? It should be a vertical blue line at the apex of the red and green lines.

Reply to
dadiOH

How exactly are you invoking the orbit command? Are you using the orbit icon or is your mouse click wheel the action the involker? I use a Logitech thumb track ball and use the center click wheel to orbit with no issues.

Reply to
Leon

Logitech wireless mouse , center scroll wheel depressed. I have the problem solved. I rotated my pieces 90 to get the orbit to work normal.

Still haven't figured out why my blue axis starts horizontal. I'm working on that

Reply to
woodchucker

Wow that is a strange problem.. LOL

I think I have found your problem. I think you may be starting drawings with a possible default "construction document" template. When I changed to this template all of the default the red, blue, green axis lines start up in the wrong orientation. Try changing you default template to one of the simple default templates.

So that I always have Sketchup set up the way I want, I start every new drawing from a file/drawing that I have named Startup and write protected it. This start up file has a simple drawing in it so I can recognize it from the load up and easily deleated and saved under the new project name. Anyway starting from this file for every drawing insures that every drawing is going to have the same features that I expect. Similar to using specific templates to start a drawing.

Reply to
Leon

Make that, start from the "write protected" start up drawing and deleting all of the contents in the drawing and then begin my actual drawing in that file and then saved under another name.

Reply to
Leon

When I start I usually choose woodworking. Is this the template we are talking about, or another.

Reply to
woodchucker

I use the one at the top of the list, Simple Template - Feet- Inches.

I did however change it's stile to get rid of the green ground and blue sky.

Reply to
Leon

Another thing, if you right click on the an axis line, especially the blue one, and choose Align View it can throw your axis out of whack.

Reply to
Leon