What is it? Set 539

Just posted this week's set:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

3145 Home made wheel chock.

3146 Of course a fence tool. :-)

3147 A tenderizer... (probably something else)

3148 Looks like a gear puller, but since it's from a paint company has to be something else.

3149 Metal bending tool.

3150 Winding mechanism, probably has a counter in the box to count rotations.

Reply to
woodchucker

3148 battery terminal clamp puller
Reply to
Rick

3148 looks like a bearing puller.

I think the Blue Point brand is associated with Snap On who make tools.

Reply to
Belleman

3146 looks a fence puller of some sort.

3148 appears to be a car battery terminal lifter.

The rest are unknown to me.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

3145, slotted recipe or mail holder. Hangs on the wall with nail hole provided. 3146, fish scale, or fence tightener. 3147, lobster picker. How a maine man gets a lobstah out of the tank to put in the steamer. (BTW, we had this one a couple months ago.) 3148 battery terminal remover for top post auto batteries. 3149, no clue 3150, cranked center punch for locating drill holes.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

DoN, I'm posting from northern USA

3149 Is a chain breaker. It holds a steel chain link so you can hammer the next link off of it. The 3 notches are for different size chains.
Reply to
Ralph

This answer is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct. I totally forgot that I recently posted this tool in January.

Reply to
Rob H.

Chain breaker is correct, also called a chain detacher.

Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

3145) Hmm ... an edge view might help a bit -- to show the shape of the steps in the wood.

First guess is that it is a chock which is shoved adjacent to a wheel to prevent it rolling.

Shape of the steps could confirm that it instead is a stepped wedge to go with a second similarly steeped piece to serve as an adjustable height block. (There are similar things made of metal used for setups on milling machines and the like.)

3146) This one looks as though it is intended to hang from the large ring and each step in the ratchet holds at a slightly different angle, thus lifting the load in small increments. Pulling up on the lever to the right allows it to reset to its lowest position. 3147) This one looks familiar from a recent previous posting, and I seem to remember it being to test hardness of wood, though I may be wrong. 3148) Tool for pulling an automotive battery cable terminal clear of the terminal post on the battery. 3149) Totally unfamiliar to me.

Looks like forged steel, and something has been bashed against the bottom of the right-hand groove more than the smaller other grooves.

Looks as though it is intended to sit on top of an anvil while in use.

But no clue what is being bashed into the slots.

3150) Hmm ... the drawing gives more information than the photo does.

It looks like a repeating stroke center punch with a replaceable tip. Turn the crank and it both rotates the punch and strikes it by raising the weight (7) and dropping it (assisted by the spring) multiple times per rotation.

The teeth on the spur gear, and the worm gear have a buttress tooth formation, allowing it to raise and then drop the weight once or more per crank rotation (depending on how many starts the thread of the worm has) -- and it looks like the point is rotated about once per three turns of the crank.

if the point had a drill bit shape, it would be sort of like a manual hammer drill, but the point looks purely conical.

Perhaps it is for decorative indenting of thin sheet metal instead of the usual function of a center punch to make a small conical hole to mark the starting point for a drill in thicker metal.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I think some type puller, probably gear. Where do you get paint company. Blue Point was an automotive tool sold through/by Snapon.

Reply to
Leon

Ahhhh. looked like blue paint. not point... I never needed a battery terminal puller, alway kept them lubed with vaseline or an aerospace gel to prevent oxidation and corrosion. Wish I still had that aerospace gel. Friend gave me a tube from Grumman.

Reply to
woodchucker