Laptop stuck in Airplane mode

For I don't know what reason, my laptop has got stuck in airplane mode. Using my PC I've looked on the 'net for solutions, and tried going into Settings (the cog-wheel icon) > Network and Internet >

Airplane Mode, and tried turning off the toggle there as per many instructions, but it's actually greyed out and won't do anything. Until I get it switched off, nothing else works, no WI-FI, no nothing. Re-booting doesn't clear the problem.

What can I do next?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I wasn't aware that laptops had an Airplane mode. What operating system is it running?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Find the hardware switch that disables wifi and press it again

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a laptop - can't remember what type - which had a physical switch to turn WiFi on/off. IIRC it was a small slider switch on the back or side.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

What happens if you connect it to your router with an ethernet cable?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ah! Brilliant! Never knew I had such a switch. Must have got moved when I picked up the laptop. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yup. Found it. See my reply to TNP, and thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I missed a call from the hospital because somehow my android phone had the ring volume set very low. No idea how that happened either.

NEVER touch it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I was just going to say the same thing! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes. My granddaughter has one. There is a slide switch along the side of the laptop which she didn't know about. She'd knocked it. Can.t remeber the model.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

My Dell 1520 and 630 both have such a switch. When connected by cable, they switch to ethernet.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

buy a cat5e patch cable ?

Reply to
Andrew

That would still work. Airplane mode (Win 10 onwards) just disables all the onboard radios (WiFi, and Bluetooth typically)

Machines without radio hardware will not even see the option.

Older machines used to have a physical switch that disables the hardware so the OS can't see it. Many modern ones have a Fn Key combo that does the same trick.

Reply to
John Rumm

My Dell had a button that turned the Wi-Fi off. I turned it off by accident once and didn't realise what the problem was. I tried the on-board help and the one thing it didn't suggest was to look for the relevant button.

On another occasion I was running low on HDD space, and one thing the computer didn't suggest was emptying the Recycle Bin.

Reply to
Max Demian

What d'ye need a switch for? I just go System Prefeences -> Network -> Wi-Fi and then turn it on or off. Simples.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My work laptop does. It cuts wifi and, if I had a SIM installed, it cuts mobile data use.

Reply to
SteveW

That is not mandatory.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On my HP laptop I have to press the F12 button. There is a picture of an airplane on the button.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Is the Wifi actually switched off by a switch. Are the wifi drivers loaded? What did you do before this happened? Assuming a PC then try putting it back to when it worked. If its an Apple device, normally this tends to be a hardware fault, but lets hope not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Could be a Chrome book but there are also some laptops where custom software puts an airplane mode in the tray. If its a Chrome book I have very little knowledge and would not give one house room, personally. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff