lennox furnace out of sequence, gas

Spent the last couple of evenings searching internet for replacemen

parts, which helped me identify the parts on my G24M furnace. I als found my circuit/control board has the updated 6K07 control board. Rea through my Lennox G24M Installation Instructions and User's Informatio Manual to obtain a better understanding of the system and components Local dealer was willing to sell me a new control board for $260 and found them for $252 and $258 on the net. Decided to wait until I coul spend more time troubleshooting the system.

Finally had time today to troubleshoot my system. Removed panel, wif switched thermostat to "heat" and I found out a lot.

  1. induction blower was working properly (thanks to Bubba I know it' name)
  2. almost immediately the clicking started (nothing should happen fo the first 45 seconds, except for the pressure switch to send power t board ignition control, when board ignition control receives powe signal from pressure switch it starts a 45 second delay, at the end o delay the board ignition control will send power to spark ignitor an gas valve solenoid)
  3. clicking wasn't spark ignitors, but was the gas valve solenoid, ga valve shouldn't receive power for 45 seconds
  4. turned off all power, turned gas valve manual control knob to off removed ignitor/sensor/tube assembly to confirm ignitor type, it ha two prongs at one end (spark ignition) and one prong at other en (flame sensor?)
  5. reinstalled ignitor/sensor/tube assembly and turned gas knob on
  6. turned power back "on" and called for "heat" again, gas valv started clicking again within 2 seconds after blower started
  7. removed vacuum hose from blower and clicking stopped, which prove diaphragm pressure switch was working (considered turning off power an ohming through switch while manualy applying vac/press into tube bu decided my wife would think I was nuts)
  8. reconnected vacuum hose to blower, diaphragm pressure switch sen power to control board ignition control circuit, which sent power t gas valve again without waiting the required 45 seconds
  9. realized something within the control board ignition control circui wasn't working properly, turned off power and gas valve
  10. searched numerous forums looking for G24M and 65K07 information
  11. one mentioned replacing or cutting off black cover from the ga control relay and cleaning the contacts, which is on the control boar next to the 15 pin connector
  12. another one mentioned checking ground wire connections
  13. I decided to remove and reseat all plugs and wire connectors o board
  14. I then tilted board away from top two plastic retainers an inspected the back of it for burnt/black spots
  15. Lastly I "lightly" tapped on board relays
  16. turned power and gas knob "on"
  17. called for heat, induction blower started, approximately 45 second later the gas valve opened and spark ignitor lit
  18. selected cool, compressor came on and a/c worked
  19. selected heat, furnace worked
  20. selected off and selected fan "on", fan worked
  21. selected heat and continued to play with thermostat settings t turn off need for heat and then to call for heat
  22. furnance continued to work

Hopefully my system will continue to work. Considering the low cost o some replacement parts, I've decided it would be wise to keep some o hand. I'm planning to order the following: Furnace - flame rollout sw, primary and secondary switchs, pressure sw blower motor capacitor Compressor - comp time delay 1 minute, 24v double pole 30 amp relay capacitors 35W comp and 5W fan 440V

Thanks for all y'alls help with fixing my system, tripnt

-- tripntx

Reply to
tripntx

Not to burst your bubble or anything but you've done nothing to identify the problem and nothing to fix the furnace. You furnace WILL stop working again and it WILL stop working at a most unlikely time. Now that it is working, you might want to reflect on this time to do your research and find a good, competent fair hvac company. Otherwise, just get "one of everything" on your furnace and start changing parts till your hearts content. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

So which part would you believe is causing the problem

-- tripntx

Reply to
tripntx

The one that is failing but not completly failed yet. Its the one that will let you know on Christmas day or New Years Eve. You know, the one where you will have to call out a real technician. The Tech that will wind up charging you 3 arms and 2 legs for the job because you keep screwing with it. Then you will complain wildly that it was such a rip off because you paid a small fortune for the repair. We dont work for free on holidays, you know. Its also not free to have the wholesaler open up that day to get the part we need. They dont want to come out either so they are going to get their big piece of the pie too. To answer your question. I dont know. I dont do free repairs over the Internet. I also wont accept liability unless Im being paid. Now if you want to Pay Pal me $89 + $75 for 1/2 hr I'll be glad to get you set straight. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba, you're just so freaking helpful, aren't you? You need theropy. Why don't you watch Dr. Phil instead of Oprah. You'll feel much better.

Reply to
Bell

OH my! Looks like "bellboy" is off his meds today. Have you been charged $85 from a service man because you were too stupid to know to change your own filter too? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Can somebody please tell me which component is "the one that is failin

but not completly failed yet"?

Which component will allow power to be sent to the gas valve to soon? It seems simple, control board, but I would hate to spend $250 for th component only to find out another component was causing the problem Yes Bubba, I know, that's what techinicians are for.

Since it's working at the moment, I can't troubleshoot with multimeter. So which is the most likely culprit?

BTW, what is wrong with keeping inexpensive parts, such relays an capacitors around? System stops working, install the most likel component, and then call for service if it is still messed up Compressor fan slows, change the capacitor, blower fan quites, chang the capacitor, it's just too easy and cheap not to do so.

Bubba, If a light bulb goes out, do you change it first or call a electrician? If your faucet starts leaking, do replace cartridge an orings or do call a plumber? If you want a new plant in your yard, d you call a landscape company or do you plant it yourself? If you computer locks up, do you call Microsoft to come fix it, or do yo press control alt delete? If your DVD drive quits after warranty, d you send your computer back to have it replaced by manufacture, or d you order a new drive on the net and install it yourself? If your chec engine light turns on, do take your vehicle to the dealer or do yo drive to the nearest autoparts store where they will connect a scanne which tells you the fault? If a squealing sound starts radiating fro under your hood, do you replace the belt and check pulleys/bearings, o have a tow truck delivery your vehicle to the dealer

-- tripntx

Reply to
tripntx

Not bad job at all... So are you thinking about relays going bad on the board?

Reply to
Sexytom976