separator

My steel trash can separator is giving up the ghost. It just constantly compressing under the suction.

Will fiber be rigid enough, or should I just go to a 30gal steel drum.

Reply to
tiredofspam

My fiber drum has been sitting under a shed on three bricks for over

10 years and it still works fine. It had a metal lid into which I put two elbows aimed in opposite directions. Works like a charm unless I forget to empty it when it is full.
Reply to
Gerald Ross

tiredofspam wrote in news:m42dnakLZdWesozQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

I'd take a nail and a hammer and puncture a hole in the steel trash can to serve as a "bleeding valve". Keep some chewing gum handy in case you really need 100.00000 % suction.

Reply to
Han

No need to change. Make about 3 plywood "hoops" or ribs to shove down inside the can to keep it from caving in. 4 or more stringers running top to bottom could be necessary, but probably not needed.

Reply to
Morgans

Reply to
tiredofspam

"tiredofspam" wrote

What'ya got to lose? 30 minutes and some scraps?

Go for it. I'll betcha it works.

Cut the inside with the bandsaw, too. Add a little glue where you cut through to the middle and tack it back together.

Reply to
Morgans

It is, until you turn on the vac with all the gates closed and it folds up like origami. DAMHIKT

I have a steel drum now. If I forget to open a gate the flex hose between the cyclone and my 2-1/2" duct running along the wall shrinks down and one end of the not so light steel drum full of saw dust lifts off the ground.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I use a fiber drum with plywood top.. It's been working for years with no problem..

I've never tried it with all the gates closed, maybe it would collaspe.. dunno.. OTOH, why would I run the DC with all the gates closed? lol

Reply to
mac

Let me first say I use it with a vac instead of a DC, I doubt a DC could crush it.

And then let me say I never ran it with all the gates closed - ON PURPOSE. I try to remember to close the gate when I am done with a machine. I use a remote to turn it on which I wear on my back pocket. Sometimes it gets bumped. And sometimes I just get ahead of myself, thinking I already opened the gate.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Came late to the party, but others have chewed around the edge of my question . . . Are you using a DC or a shop vac? I doubt a DC wou;ld collapse it even with all gates closed. Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

Reply to
tiredofspam