e.on Energy Fit Monitor

Well mine arrived today.
It's a bit "numpty". You certainly would not want it to be conspicuous about the house.
In the FAQ:
Q: "I've noticed that when I'm using a lot of electricity at a point in time the screen goes blank. Why does it do this?"
A: "This should only happen when you are using more than 20kWh (sic) at any one time............................"
In fact it's so "numpty" I can't bring myself to install the software on my PC.
You never get a second chance to create a first impression. But I suppose it was free.
David
Vortex5 wrote:

Eventually I'll hook mine up to the linux server, that way the "numpty" transmitter is hidden in the cupboard under the stairs, and the "numpty" receiver is hidden in the cupboard above the stairs, and I can look at graphs via a web browser ;-)
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:07:16 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

software

That's what I do, rolling 12 month data base with avg, min & max consumption logged every minute. Perl script to do the logging, PHP to generate the web pages, gnuplot to draw the graphs.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 20/07/2010 21:58, Vortex5 wrote:

(sic?) It runs out of display segments (!) but continues to monitor.

Kinda free - I had to sign up to a DD. I have a constant 200W background that I haven't been able to isloate, and two 'connected' icons in the display, top left. I've tried reconnecting and moving the receiver closer to the meter but the two icons remain. I'd guess it's picking up a neighbour's supply - any idea how to isolate?
Thanks, Rob
On 21/07/2010 09:01, Rob wrote:

You don't use kilowatt hours, just kilowatts at any one time. Badly written FAQ.

I was on DD anyway.
With the receiver in my technoden (admittedly immersed in DECT, WiFi and Bluetooth signals) it works erratically even at only 10 metres (30 are claimed. I get the 2 connected icons as well. Dunno what that means.
I see quiescent 300W overnight which I have to understand. Can't believe routers, wall warts and other electronics are responsible for more than 150W so I need to investigate.
Now for the "fatal flaw". I have some grid connected solar PV, and during the day net export occurs. Of course this meter has no concept of flow direction so records export as usage. Ho hum.
Oh the software is fra from being a "one click" install. I bet they get lots of support calls about that.
On 21/07/2010 09:38, Vortex7 wrote:

ah, OK.

Me too.

It managed to fail first time. Uninstall, reinstall, it now starts. But I don't think I'll be using it a great deal - very clunky.
Rob

Well after multiple attempts I cannot get the software to work.
It seems to install correctly (under W7). The driver/USB connection is good....just no data seems to be transferred.
Will phone the support line later and see what they have to say.
On the other hand I have a tea chest sized box full of techno junk (modems; mobile chargers; 10 base T switches etc etc. This device is very close to being put in that box.

Does the little dial show the real time usage correctly?

Works fine on my win7 machine. You did hold down the ok and down arrow to start the transfer?

Yup,
At this point the connection icons flash (top right) and there is a "heartbeat" Icon in the missle of the screen for a minute or so.
After the transfer appears to be complete there is a "no data downloaded" message in the software when you try to view it.

Sussed it last night.
A "layer 8 problem".
I was not pressing the buttons simultaneously enough.

That's not a problem when you have fingers my size!
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:38:02 +0100, Vortex7 wrote:

I have 300W over night as well. Not sure I can account for it either but have yet to seriously go around switching things off. The server, switch, UPS, network drive, etc etc may well account for 100W+. Then there are three lights on another 60W.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Vortex7 wrote:

Lowest I see is 275W
DECT basestation ADSL router Firewall/WiFi VoIP ATA Ethernet switch kvm APC masterswitch (that can remotely power on various PCs or reboot any of the above) APC UPS (probably the biggest offender, ye olde built like a tank spec) 2 dect phone chargers DAB radio/alarm TV on standby (yep I'm a lazy git) HTPC in S3 hibernate mobile phone charger CH controller UFH controller PIR sensor for security lights TV distribution amp in loft Laptop S3 hibernated in docking station oven/clock microwave/clock washing machine fridge battery charger circuit for emergency light near CU Doorbell transformer in CU
Err I'll stop looking, I can afford a quid a day ...
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:56:09 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

<snip>
Few there that I'd forgotten about. I may do a survey, it may be enlightening.
275 x 24 = 6.6 kwhr
100 / 6.6 = 15.15p paying a lot for your power! I'm paying a shade over 10p/unit inc VAT.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

It's only a quid based on whatever the default tarrif programmed into the e.on monitor is!

Yes in practice (ignoring the 219 units at 20.02p standing charge substitute) I'm paying 10.05p/unit

Using 1W continuously = 1/year is usually the right ball-park.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Our total yearly bill is less than two quid a day.
MBQ

Probably not.. Try moving the pickup sensor to the centre connection on the transmitter unit. It has three connectors to allow it to monitor more than one live.
I have a constant background too, but it is real power as it goes down when you pull fuses. Most of mine is the aquaria and the pond filter, but the router, nas, access points and sky do add up. I also noticed that whenever I look the freezer is running, I must check to see if its broken or if its just too warm.