PING e.on Energy Fit meter users (or indeed anybody interested in leccy logging)

Hello,

I post this because I know there are some e.on Energy Fit users who lurk here who may be interested.

A few months back I was sent a free power meter from e.on.

The logging software that came with is was complete s**te so after a couple of attempts I gave up trying to use it, and have had the monitor sitting on the side ever since, giving real time power usage readings. Only semi-useful really.

Last weekend I investigated if there were other better software options for extracting data, and I made an interesting (and cool to me at least) discovery.

It seems that the e.on meter is simply a badged version of the Current Cost ENVI. Top left here:

the same page (bottom right) there is a product called "The Bridge". This device allows you to interface the monitor via internet to the Google Powermeter application. I ordered one (via Amazon) at the weekend and it arrived today.

It does exactly what it says on the tin. I can now see my real time domestic leccy usage from the office, or for that matter anywhere else....and no PC needs to be on. More interestingly I can download all the historical usage info simply into a spreadsheet.

Excelleny gizmo (30 quid btw). I now need to wait a week or 2 to see how well it agrees with my meter.

End of testimonial

Vortex7

It's for windows, so the CD never even made it into a machine.

I saw that the other day, does it *only* allow hooking to Google's service? Or can you connect to it locally over ethernet in a browser for example?

I've got mine hooked to a linux box, I'm not reading the data properly yet, but every 2 hours the CC128 dumps historic data (last month at 2 hour resolution, last 3 months at 1 day resolution and last 7 years at 1 month resolution) so it wouldn't need to be permanently connected to gather data.

I've not yet figured out if I can feed RRDTOOL with live information when a PC is connected, then fill in gaps with historic data without stomping the course historic data over whatever finer live data I have.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You have missed nothing. That CD is a waste of plastic.

You can see and download your data from the Google service via any browser. Seems to work on my Android 'phone too.

There is also a Current Cost portal

which I assume has Google behind it.

A browse of

may give some clues on direct access. It must be theoretically possible.

Vortex7

Not sure if google make the data available via api

Nope, it uploads to

cost have hinted that they may make the data on pachube available

doesn't appear to be anyway of asking the bridge for the data - it uploads automagically every 5 mins to pachube. currentcost then upload the data to google (if you link the device - it's optional).

As it stands, the bridge is a bit buggy - it's fine with the newer currentcost meter apparantly but if you have the older "classic" then I'd wait for the new firmware version and get confirmation it will work with the meter.

It's a neat solution, but a bit early adoptor at the mo :-)

Darren - who spent far too much time recently packet sniffing these things :-)

Reply to
D.M.Chapman