Strange leccy meter readings!

I'm on economy seven with Powergen. We have electric storage heating and all the other usual appliances. My latest bill was quite a bit higher than normal on my daytime usage so we decided to do a daily reading of day and night usage. For eight days we were averaging normal expected usage but today the daytime usage was three times the norm.

This afternoon we switched everything off and the red flashing light on the Siemens unit was still flashing fairly rapidly. Turns out that there is power to the heaters and they are merrily stoking up at daytime rate!!

The timepiece on the supply board is an elderly Sangamo Weston clock. Do these go faulty? Must be an intermittent fault else we would have had a massive bill.

Phoned powergen and they are sending somebody out in a week or so.

Anybody had similar problems?

Reply to
Philip Thompson

Ouch

Yes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, and you may also find they don`t take responsibility for load switching equipment - you may have to provide that yourself...

I used to be on an E7 variant that gave me two extended off-peak load periods, and it was easier using cheap plug-in timers than piddling around fitting contactors and a seperate board.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:24:14 -0000 someone who may be "Philip Thompson" wrote this:-

Yes. Someone I know had their consumer unit replaced by the local "electricity board". After they left the time clock had stopped working, with the meter at the night position. The clock was working before.

It took quite a while to get them to sort it out, which they did by fitting a unit with built in time clock (it probably used the radio time signal from Rugby as many of these do).

Sensibly they didn't have the nerve to try and charge their customer for a mistake made by the company.

Reply to
David Hansen

A week or so! I hope that you are going to query the bill when it arrives and the one you have just had...

Are PowerGen your actual physical power suplier or just the people who bill you for electricity used. It is the former that you need to get in contact with, I would trust the billing co to pass the information on at all let alone in a timely manner.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yep for sure :) Tried ringing this morning to get an earlier visit but not possible. Bit of a pain but we are having to turn off the supply to the heaters in the morning when it goes over to daytime tarrif and turn them on again at night which is at 0045 .

Checked again today and sure enough there is a feed to the heaters fuse box even though the clock has clunked over to daytime. Odd thing is that the Siemens metering device is going from day to night tarrif monitoring ok. Does this have its own clock or is it told to change by the Sangamo Weston time clock?

Reply to
Philip Thompson