EDF energy smart meter - fault diagnosis - mesh network?

The external display for our EDF smart meter has stopped displaying data and just sits there "Waiting for current data".

I will try and contact EDF tomorrow, but I thought I would check here in case anyone has already hit this.

The smart meter has a row of 5 lights which pulse on a regular basis. I haven't really paid attention before but I note that the middle one, "Mesh", is not flashing.

I don't know if this is significant or not.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Tried moving it nearer the leccy meter?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Stood it on top of the bastard and it still wouldn't talk to it.

There is a fault finding flow chart which includes this, and I have reached the "call us" bit.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

It may just need an off/on sequence to for it to force a pairing negotiation. Google suggests....

How do I pair my EDF smart meter?

Press and hold the power button on the back of your smart meter display to turn it on. To turn it off, press and hold the same button for five seconds. Each time you turn the smart meter display on, it will show 'Welcome to IHD2' then 'Attempting to pair'.

Reply to
alan_m

I'd power cycle it first and see if it comes back up. It may have just lost connection for some reason.

(I think some have a battery inside, so you might have to try a bit harder to force it to power off)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

"The point of a smart meter is that we don't have to send a man round to read it" "just two men, to fix it"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was not aware they use anything but their own system to communicate to the customer unit. I am still waiting for my meter. I'm fed up with having to get a real person to read the meter and I now know the talking customer devices exist and have been deployed, but they now claim that economy 7 and the fact that I'm all electric are a problem for supplying. This sounds lie lame excuses to me. As for what is wrong with the unit. You do not say what its doing, ie is it dead or just showing no data or what. Is it one of the rechargeable ones or does it run on replaceable batteries there do seem to be several types around people tell me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

They all have a battery, certainly the one I was shown that talks had a little rechargeable one in it and the unit sat on a cradle like a walk about phone or door intercom does.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No, mine doesn't (I have had it to bits)

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you care to read the response from Andy B (and my response to that) we have already covered that point.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Updated to say that I used the web site to follow the diagnostic recommendations (which didn't work) then used the SMS service to report the issue.

Helpful response saying it would be passed to smart meter support who would be contacting me.

Just noticed that it has started working again, so texted to update EDF.

I suspect that the display was talking to the meter but the meter wasn't talking to home base. If there was a short term network issue it has been fixed. I will probably never know quite what happened.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Why would the IHD ever need to talk to the meter?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I assumed that was so.

Are you saying that the smart meters report back to the supplier and then the IHD (In Home Display?) talks to the supplier independently to report the results after processing?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

No I'm saying the smart meter talks *to* the IHD, but has no reason to listen for anything back from it.

Reply to
Andy Burns