Smart meter replacement 'Smart energy display'.

Someone I know is in the process of buying a house which has a British Gas smart meter installed. Ignoring for a moment the portability issues to a new provider, I presume it comes with some sort of SED (smart Energy Display) which sits on a shelf somewhere a bit more accessible that six feet under the stairs.
If the vendor has lost (or otherwise fails to hand over) the SED, how easy is it to get a replacement?
--
Roland Perry

Roland Perry wrote on 21/07/2018 :

If supplier wants to retain customers, I suspect it would be quite easy and no cost to the customer. I understood the display needed to be paired to the meters HAN.

You'd think that, but is it in fact the case?
[Sorry I should have said they have a BG electricity meter, don't know about the actual gas meter].

Is that something a customer can do, perhaps by pressing buttons on each within some fairly short time window?
--
Roland Perry

Roland Perry explained on 21/07/2018 :

I have no idea, one of the installers fitting the meters mentioned the pairing needed to be set up..

Ask Mr eBay? https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=british+gas+smart
Theo

Not all of those are EDs, rather than the previous generation of "clip-on" power monitor.
That suggests the street price is around ?15, and thus maybe BG don't hand them out free (or even at all without a fight).
Can any [BG] SED be DIY paired with any [BG] meter or is it not quite as simple as that?
It also shows that given there's a market for these, it's well worth asking if the vendor has made a quick buck selling it, and it's therefore unavailable rather than tucked in a cupboard somewhere.
--
Roland Perry

It should be very easy once its paired. I am told this as they tell me when they eventually take delivery of the talking display, which offgen says they already should have, they will fit a standard meter and pair the new display to it. I have no idea of the protocol, but it does assumedly only work one way. I'd hat for somebody like a polish criminal to threaten to cut off Birmingham if they don't get paid zillions of bitcoins! Brian
--
----- --