Smart meter replacement 'Smart energy display'.

Someone I know is in the process of buying a house which has a British Gas smart meter installed. Ignoring for a moment the portability issues to a new provider, I presume it comes with some sort of SED (smart Energy Display) which sits on a shelf somewhere a bit more accessible that six feet under the stairs.

If the vendor has lost (or otherwise fails to hand over) the SED, how easy is it to get a replacement?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Roland Perry wrote on 21/07/2018 :

If supplier wants to retain customers, I suspect it would be quite easy and no cost to the customer. I understood the display needed to be paired to the meters HAN.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , at 14:15:44 on Sat, 21 Jul

2018, Harry Bloomfield remarked:

You'd think that, but is it in fact the case?

[Sorry I should have said they have a BG electricity meter, don't know about the actual gas meter].

Is that something a customer can do, perhaps by pressing buttons on each within some fairly short time window?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Roland Perry explained on 21/07/2018 :

I have no idea, one of the installers fitting the meters mentioned the pairing needed to be set up..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ask Mr eBay?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It should be very easy once its paired. I am told this as they tell me when they eventually take delivery of the talking display, which offgen says they already should have, they will fit a standard meter and pair the new display to it. I have no idea of the protocol, but it does assumedly only work one way. I'd hat for somebody like a polish criminal to threaten to cut off Birmingham if they don't get paid zillions of bitcoins! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , at 18:47:26 on Sat,

21 Jul 2018, Theo remarked:

Not all of those are EDs, rather than the previous generation of "clip-on" power monitor.

That suggests the street price is around ?15, and thus maybe BG don't hand them out free (or even at all without a fight).

Can any [BG] SED be DIY paired with any [BG] meter or is it not quite as simple as that?

It also shows that given there's a market for these, it's well worth asking if the vendor has made a quick buck selling it, and it's therefore unavailable rather than tucked in a cupboard somewhere.

Reply to
Roland Perry