Access to smart meter raw data

Anyone know whether customers have the right to see the raw smart meter data that the suppliers collect from smart meters? I ask because our latest bill from EDF for the Village Hall still contains a couple of Estimated Readings. And yet the smart meter was installed well (i.e., at least six months) before the important moment, which is when we went onto a contract with cheaper tariffs. They've "estimated" the readings for that moment.

Online, I can see the usage for any given day since soon after installation, in hourly chunks. So f'rinstance by adding up the bars I can see how many kWh are used overnight for the storage heaters. But there's no sign of any access to the raw meter numbers.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I can download data sent/received using the Bright app on my phone - service provided by

RJH

Thanks but the URL doesn't appear to do jack.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Theoretically you have the right to a copy of your metering data. I applied for mine but received a scrappy spreadsheet which looked like someone's effort at cutting and pasting data. It wasn't quick either and needed some chasing. Luckily I didn't need more info, so I left it at that.

See

Pamela

Indeed - you'll need to register (click the 'sign up here' button) and enter the details of your meter(s). It won't 'know' you until that's done. Then it takes maybe a day or so for everything to catch up.

It does work for me - I just used the web interface to download all of the daily usage data since the meters were fitted.

I don't have one of their display units - I just use what Eon gave me. And their support is very responsive. So I'm not quite sure what they motivation is for people like me . . .

Reply to
RJH

What data do you get? Above you suggest you can see 'data sent/received' - what does that mean? It sounds like a transcription of the conversation between the meter and the DCC - I'm a bit surprised a third party can see that.

Getting the usage data is something the energy supplier may give you, but Tim wanted the meter readings. I don't know if smart meters actually send the absolute readings in each message, or just usage for each (half hourly or other) period.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Only in the sense of sent by me and received by them. This is an example;

1687937400 5.269 2023-06-28T07:30:00.000Z

BTW - do you/anyone know how to make sense of the epoch Timestamp figure?

Yes, good point - thought he'd asked for 'data'. Assuming he does have a useful historical reading, he'd have to add a column and add the consumption for the reading - trivial if you can use Excel or similar, but not if you can't.

Reply to
RJH

. . . the figure starting 1687

Reply to
RJH

looks like a unix timestamp ... yep, Wed Jun 28 2023 07:30:00 GMT+0000

you can use an online converter, e.g.

Andy Burns

:-) Thanks, it wasn't that, it was just that the URL took 20 mins or more to load. I signed up later when I noticed it had finished loading, but I've not registered the meter yet. I read thru their Ts&Cs, from which you can't exit without clicking "Agree". But part of what you are agreeing to is that "you live at these premises". Hard to agree when (a) no premises have been mentioned or defined and (b) of course I don't - it's a Village Hall FFS!

Reply to
Tim Streater

If they did that, they'd be screwed if there was a drop-out from time to time. Their only way round that would be to ask for a reading, which goes against the whole supposed point of the "smartness".

Reply to
Tim Streater

23rd June 2023 07.30.00 UTC, I'd have said.

I want the meter readings so I can navigate to the date of our being moved to a cheaper tariff, and see if their "estimated" reading for that date matches.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not necessarily - the meter caches the half-hourly consumption, so you just need to wait for comms to reconnect before resending the batch of half-hourly consumptions.

There may be a procedure which allows querying the reading on the front of the meter to resync with the number to put on the customer bill, but it doesn't follow that the meter is sending the full reading each time. For one thing, sending all the digits that don't change is wasted bandwidth.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Ah thanks (and Tim)

Reply to
RJH

I would imagine that the absolute cumulative meter reading since the meter was originally installed would be sent periodically (maybe once a day) even if incremental readings from that are sent every half-hour or whatever.

Octopus *appear* to have recorded usage for just the first few hours of one day last week (all the later readings that day are zero). Or that is that their app shows.

I am sure that we will end up being charged for the full usage that day, even it is not itemised per half-hour and just catches up at the end of the day.

My experience of our smart meters (elec and gas) is that the readings in the app takes a *lot* longer to appear that I would have imagined. Usually it takes until late morning for yesterday's elec reading to show and until late afternoon for the gas reading to show. I thought the app would show the readings for 00:00:00-23:59:59 of yesterday from 00:00:00 today - ie as soon as the "counting period" had ended.

I found a third-party app that shows the hourly usage of our electricity and gas, but talking directly to the In Home Device (IHD) console so it is bang up to date. It worked brilliantly last summer, but the day the clocks went back from BST to GMT, the gas readings went loopy. Now "Yesterday" for the electricity reading relates to yesterday, but "Yesterday" for gas relates to the day before yesterday - consistently, and for every day, not just the special "Yesterday" reading. So for example if the Octopus app shows

2 Mar 121 232 (elect, gas) 1 Mar 234 345 29 Feb 456 567 28 Feb 789 890

Then the third-party app shows

2 Mar 121 345 1 Mar 234 567 29 Feb 456 890

Reminds me of the Two Ronnies sketch "Answering the question before" ;=)

I raised a support call / bug, but nothing has happened sicne I raised it a day or so after the clocks went back.

I am most intrigued to see if the problem rights itself in a few weeks when we change from GMT to BST...

Reply to
NY

What happens on January 19th, 2038 at 03:14:07 ?

Reply to
Andrew

If you're not using 64bit timestamps by then ... game over.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think the 8 bit world will have disapppeared.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Never overestimate the ability of the manufacturers cost accountants though :-(

Reply to
Andrew