Smart meter reading

We have had Smart meters since last year so much to my surprise someone came to read my meter. The odd thing was that he only read the electric meter. This is the first meter reading we have had in years and there was me thinking that all this was a thing of the past.

So what was he doing are they comparing actual readings with what is being transmitted back to them? Other than that it was a third party company - Morrison Data Services and I wonder if it was piece rate and they have to read X number of meters to get paid whether they need reading or not!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Suppliers are no longer required to try to visit at least once every 2 years but they have still responsibilities such as H&S legislation which may lead them to commission "meter readers" to take a look.

Ofgem envisaged suppliers using risk indicators but it may be that your supplier wants a wider sample, so ISTM the visit is not /necessarily/ a sign they think you're likely to engage in cannabis farming :)

Reply to
Robin

The only smart meter I am having to deal with is one at our church, loads of fun and games.

The latest hassle is that British Gas (who supply the church's electricity) want a photograph of the smart meter specifically including its serial number. That's nowhere near as easy as it sounds!

Reply to
Chris Green

Tricky Dicky pretended :

They were just checking you had not interfered with their meter to run a cannabis farm in your loft.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

They have been a third party company for some time. They probably do do random test readings, I have no idea. Does seem a bit odd, since it does not sound like they trust their own gear and it might put some of us off getting one. I only have electricity here, and still cannot get a smart meter and talking remote fitted. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

My impression is that it's a combination of general checkup that their automated readings are right, nothing untoward, and a general H&S check. I have just had my smart meters replaced. They were installed Sept

2011. so just under 10 years use, and I now have SMETS2.
Reply to
Allan

Who knows. The guy gets given a list of meters to read. I see the same guy in the same nPower van in the village reading meters for different suppliers on a fairly regular basis. There is neither rhyme not reason to it. I'm a keyholder for various premises on different suppliers in addition to my own home supply. Same guy same place multiple times for each of the various billing organisations. It is utter madness!

The village hall's smart meter lasted for about 2 months before losing its connection to the real world. They have to come and reset it more often than they ever used to read it in the past. Saving money???? NOT!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Especially the bit about turning-up to read e.g. elec meter only (despite gas being dual-fuel from same supplier) and flat-out refusing to read the other meter while he's here, I've had that twice.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't think they check the condition of anything. Our electric meter was replaced about 11 years ago and in the process the installer snapped off the lugs for the seals on the main fuse. The meter has been read about once a year since then and nobody has ever been said anything about there being no seals.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Same here, dual fuel supplier but he only read the electricity meter. As for checking if there is a Cannabis farm our loft at 22 deg pitch means crawl space only.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Checking for electricity theft of course.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike