Meter reading

Is utility meter reading getting worse? I ask because we've had an
electricity bill (from Powergen) where we've been overcharged by 10,000
kW hrs - the reader apparently didn't spot that the dial on the 10k
wheel was between 9 and 0 and not after 0. I'll bet the errors err on
the over side.
Also, how much does it cost to replace a dial meter with a modern one?
Is this worth doing?
E.
Reply to
eastender
My water bill was £50 which is way out of line with expectations. The company confirmed it was a read but I don't believe the cover had been lifted. He either hadn't bothered at all or got them mixed up. I expect little else from many companies these days, I'm afraid.
I thought they were done as a matter of course. Ours was changed to digital about five years ago.
Andy
Reply to
Andy Cap
No, you are watching the bills and checking your meter so any errors will be detected and corrected.
Yes lecky meters should be replaced by the REC every ten years at no cost to the customer. What you get as a replacement varies, some times an electronic jobbie, sometimes a refurbished spinning disc one.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
Some meters can be read remotely without lifting the cover... Anyway I'm= sure you have checked what the meter actually says and what the meter reading on the bill says tally.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
Is it the primary supplier that does this or is there a third-party common organisation like I presume Transco is?
E.
Reply to
eastender
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:03:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
If that's the case, it doesn't work !
Anyway I'm
Indeed. The revised bill was £150
Andy
Reply to
Andy Cap
Yeah it's fine if you do actually put the money aside... I didn't bother and last year (after ages of no readings) suddenly found myself having to pay an electric bill 1000 GBP higher than usual. And that *hurt*!
David
Reply to
Lobster
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:58:06 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
I wish I had your self-control ! ;-)
Andy
Reply to
Andy Cap
Do you have a reference for this that I could wave at my supplier? It's never been done - although the gas and water have.
Andy
Reply to
Andy Champ
Known around these parts as an ESMA change (electricity supply metering act IIRC)
The time period between changes depends factors such as the type of premises. Some changes may be as much as 25 years apart IIRC, others 12-15 years.
Sadly I don't have any cites on the time periods :-}
Although the year of manufacture on the meter may be waaaay back in the past, if it has a red spot on the glass, it was re-certified - this was happening all the way through the 1980s from what I remember, possibly longer.
Reply to
Colin Wilson
In article , "Dave Liquorice" writes:
When I was working on a remote meter reading project in the early 1990's, the requirments REC's put on meter suppliers was a 40 year expected lifetime and a 10 year guarantee. (The 40 year expected lifetime ruled out the use of LED and LCD displays in the early 1990's.)
There are 4 meters in different houses I know the age of, and they are aged 17 (age of house), 21 (since meter last replaced), 25 (since meter moved during renovation), and 49 (age of house).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
One can give them a hard luck story. I had a similar situation and offered the supplier the choice of spreading the payment over 6 months or my business going to another supplier. They went for the first.
Reply to
Andy Hall
On 28 Nov,
Mine was recently replaced, the chap said "new electronic ones (the only ones we are now fitting) are good for 10 years. The mechanical types would do 15 years between recals, but we are now scrapping them."
Reply to
<me9
On 28 Nov,
My recently replaced one was date stamped 1953, but was fitted early 90s after recalibration to replace a 1976 model.
Reply to
<me9
In article Dave
I used to do this but with the way prices keep going up these days I'd be more inclined to accept high estimates and effectively get some of next year's energy at this year's prices.
Reply to
Mike Clarke
My most recent bill was severely underestimated so I suspect that (Powergen at least) have cottoned onto that. I noticed as well that they no longer have an automated 'report your reading' line. You can do it but have to sit in a queue with everyone else to speak to a person in the call centre.
Andrew
Reply to
Andrew May

Site Timeline Threads