Reading an economy 7 digital meter.

My economy 7 digital meter is showing me using

R1 = 65kwh per 24 hours R2 = 23kwh per 24 hours

Surely this is back to front, I thought R2 was the night time units, I cant be using 65kw daytime and only 23kw at night with 5 storage heaters.

Reply to
Richard

All you need to do is look again this afternoon and see which one has changed then if necessary ring the Electricity people

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Is it possible that im using 65kw in the day and 23kw at night, it doesnt add up.

Reply to
Richard

Yes, your storage heaters may be coming on in the day due to an incorrectly set timer, or the storage heaters may have a boost function that is being used in the day.

Does your whole house switch over to rate 2 in the night, or it it just for the storage heaters?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

The whole house switches over at night, no boost function on the heaters, do all electric meters show the night units as rate 2?

Reply to
Richard

The strange thing is if i lookat the running total for R1 and R2 R1 is

28750kwh and R2 is 41597kwh so since the meter was fitted the bulk of the load is on R2, now the bulk of the load is going onto R1
Reply to
Richard

Have you thouught of looking at an old bill - the readings should give you a clue which is normal and which is low rate.

Reply to
The Wanderer

I have only just moved into this house and have not had a bill, just rang npower and they are stating that R1 is the night time reading, seems a little strange that the overall reading shows R2 as the highest sine the meter was fitted.

Reply to
Richard
8>

How do present readings compare with those when you took over the house. You did take readings as soon as you moved it didn't you?

If the house was empty for a time but the heating was left switched on and you have taken over the last inhabitant's final reading you might get something like this.

Edgar

Reply to
edgar

What controls when the storage heaters come on? I believe some, but not all, E7 meters provide an extra output which is only "live" during the night period, and which is used to power contactors for the storage heaters. Or is there a separate timeswitch for the heaters, in which case might it be wrongly set? (BTDT)

Reply to
Autolycus

The easiest way to verify this it to take a reading in the morning, when it is in "day" mode, then again in the evening when it is still in "day" mode, and see which reading has increased (assuming you are using some power in the house, or course)

As the whole house switches over at night, your storage heaters may be under local control, rather than under the control of the time switch that controls the meter - If so, check these are only on in the E7 period - The E7 time is normally quoted in GMT, which we are currently in, when we switch to British summer Time, the E7 stays on GMT (as I understand it anyway), so don't change the time on the timers when the clocks go forward.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

My R1 is the low, R2 is the normal.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

It varies depending on the particular meter and tariff. I used to be on Option 14 and the rates were "opposite" to Economy 7 on the readouts - I don't believe I received a single correct bill for over 6 years until I went back to a standard meter once CH was installed - and I work for the company !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The "meter" that is currently being used is indicated in the display. At least it is on my electronic E7 meter. Watch the display as it cycles round from segment check (everything on), R1 R2 etc. On mine the ^ under the printed "1 2 3 4 Total" blinks for the active rate.

R1 on mine is peak, R2 off peak.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It really depends on the meter, timeswitch and wiring. Hopefully, your supplier is attaching the correct reading to the correct tariff.

However, occasionally, they make mistakes. In the block of flats where I live, despite everyone having the same type of meter, some flats have Rate 1 as night, some have it as Day (quite how, I'm not sure). That said, the flat numbers printed on the meters don't reliably correspond to the flat that is actually supplied by the meters (as you might imagine, this causes chaos).

Reply to
Mark