Re: Economy 7 meter digital (OT)

I know this is the wrong newsgroup but I cannot find the diy one.

uk.d-i-y added to the newsgroups list.

Either my server has removed it or I just cant find it. Anyway, I have > economy 7 electricity and they have just replaced the meter with a > digital one and I cannot work it out and I have tried the internet but > they give N and L for the tariff readings > > Can someone tell me which " T" and "R" stand for? I know one is night > and one day but I dont know which. This is exceptionally important > since there is something wrong with the electricity supply and the > thing is using 200 quid worth of electricity a month and I have nothing > on.

Dispute the bill *now*. Worry about why later.

I am trying to read the meter day and night to work out whats lamping > the electric but I cant do that not knowing which is day rate and which > is night. Can someone with one of these new digital elec tronic readers > tell me which is which?

Can you upload a picture some where? Always better than try> Now I have a new meter - fancy job - it shows just one reading which is

the total consumption of electric on its main face. It flashes with a > red light ( or two) depending on which rate is currently in use ( I > think). Thats best guessing from looking at it.

The red light flashes faster or slower depending on the current level of power consumption. Ours is 1 flash per 0.001kWHr (1/1000th unit) but your meter is different ours just continuously cycles through the two rates and a display check.

a) the date ( I think) > press again > > b) the time ( I think but it isnt right, its an hour out) > press again

If it knows the time *and* date it's probably a radio controlled time switch/meter, or "teleswitch". What writing is on it? The time will be an hour out as we are in BST at the moment and power switching stays on GMT.

c) an R rate which gives one reading > > press again > d) a T rate.

The easy way to tell which is which is to see which one clicks up during the day. Read it in the morning and then again in the evening. One should have stayed static and the other gone up by say 5 to 25.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think mine states 1 and 2

On my meter the only one displayed is the one that represents that time of day. i.e 8:30am to about 12:30am (just after midnight) the day rate is displayed (default) but at nigth when (cough) economy 7 is running the night rate is diplayed by default.

Well put your cloths back on, and you won;t need the heater on ;-)

perhaps the meter reader read it worng they did with mine. There are actualy 3 possible displays on mine. if say the first is say the day rate, the second is the night rate and a third displays the total day+night I assume this is used for error checking or to detect any fiddling, buit they could have read this rate as either the day or night which would be higher than either alone.

You might be able to just on a few heavy appliances and what it change within a few minutes. I just brough one of those remote elec. usage checkers from B&Q reduced from ~£60 to £30. The go around the live incoming cable.

Reply to
whisky-dave

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:10:41 +0100 someone who may be "whisky-dave" wrote this:-

One I used to read displayed three totals:

"Rate 1" was the peak units.

"Rate 2" was the off-peak units used by appliances on 24 hour circuits.

"Total" was the (generally night) units used by appliances connected to the terminals for off-peak heating. I say generally night as fairly often in autumn, spring and summer these were activated (by radio) for an hour or so in the afternoon.

The total number of off-peak units was obtained by adding the "Rate

2" and "Total" figures.

This stupidly set up meter caused considerable confusion to begin with.

Reply to
David Hansen