Economy 7 Problem

I have economy 7 (or whtever its called these days) - it powers the storage heater anbd also heats the water during the night. There is an override that I can use to heat the water in the day from the nomal supply
The storage heaters have stopped working and It appears that the water is not being heated from the white meter as it is not registering any electricity used. The water can still be heated from the normal supply.
Where should I start- if I get an eletrician will he be able to do anything as its all off peak and the clock that apperas to control it is sealed, or should I calll in the electricity supplier who owns the meter. Im trying to not end up with a bill for calling soemone in who cant do anything to fix it.
Thanks

Does the clock display the time and, if so, is it working and correct?
Have you checked all relevant fuses and/or circuit breakers?
--
Cheers,
Roger
ABEE wrote:

Yes, it should be showing the correct time. If it's stuck at off then you won't get any off-peak heating. Or even worse all your electricity will be charged at peak rate.
Owain

Aren't most now radio operated and don't have a clock? Has reception in the area changed?

Is the changeover via a contactor ?
On Thu, 29 May 2008 20:59:44 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Ours is mechanical and bust in that the clock only runs when there is power. I'm not sure when our "off peak" period is ATM...

There is no "changeover" just a set of contacts that close for the off peak period to feed power to the CU for the storage heaters. The meter will be signaled to use the other rate. All power used during the off peak period is charged at the lower rate not just that fed to the heaters.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Not all suppliers provide load switching facilities though, hence the question.
Sure, the meter might flip to low rate, but that doesn't mean any load switching to bring the heating in at the correct time is working as it should.
On Fri, 30 May 2008 00:25:22 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Hum, if the load switching isn't "sealed" how do they stop people switching it on when it shouldn't be and possibly also switching the meter into "night rate"?
Agreed the load switching may have failed but that is almost certainly, IMHO, going to be the suppliers equipment and problem not that of the consumer.
To help the OP we really need more info, a picture of the meter(s) and clocks etc would help a great deal.
--
Cheers
Dave.

In the good old days, the mechanical ones had a spring so they kept going across power cuts. You used to be able 'get lucky' with a very long powercut and end up with cheap electricity in the day.

It could be a failure of the suppliers equipment but it could also be a burnout of a connection around your off-peak consumer unit main switch/terminals. Have you tried operating the main switch on your off-peak consumer unit? Does it "feel" ok? Are you competent to remove the lid of the same unit to inspect the ends of the meter tails? (During the daytime when the off-peak supply is OFF) If there is no apparent problem with your gear then it sounds likely that the problem lies in the suppliers equipment

The On /off switch seems Ok. The House is unocciped for periods of time so teh power is turned off ( to comply with insurance stuff). I dont think its to do with turing it off as I have done this for the last 8 years and have had no problems.
I know it sounds silly, but has the consumer unit for the off-peak been turned off, and not turned back on again, sometimes the lever is up for on and sometimes it is up for off, it depends on the age and manufacturer of the consumer unit. I would imagine that if the off-peak consumer unit was turned on and off during the off-peak period it, would cause the lights to dim because of the increased load.
--
Neil J. Harris