economy 7 water heater tripping electrical circuit

Sounds like this is the problem - can you disconnect the heater's Neutral only, then see if it still trips? (you need to tape up the this disconnected wire, and not touch anything in there when it is on, obviously)

If this still causes tripping, disconnect it completely, and try again, if this still results in a trip, then it isn't the element, but if then stops the tripping, pretty sure it is! (How old is it?)

When you say it trips, do you mean an RCD or MCB (You mention a fuse in your post too)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Hi there,my economy 7 water heater has just started to trip th

electrical circuit in my house whenever I switch it on.Initially i only tripped the circuit on the cheap rate heating during the earl hours of the morning but that soon progressed onto tripping out whe using the booster switch too.So now I can't use the economy 7 wate heater completely.I've tried a new 30 amp fuse but the problem stil persists & the wiring to the thermostat & immersion heater elements al seem to be intact. What are the odds on the actual immersion heater elements inside th hot water cylinder being knackered & tripping the circuit?Is ther anyway of knowing that the elements are knackered from just looking a them?If they are the problem which I suspect, are they easy to remove replace?

Thanks so much for reading this posting, any constructive feedbac would be very much appreciated as winter is soon on it's way!

regards

Crispi

-- kjhi98

Reply to
kjhi98

When you say "trip the electrical circuit in my house" what do you mean? An RCD trips (thing with a test button on it) or the fuse blows (30A probably with quite a bang...)

Very high.

Possibly but the only way to look at 'em is to take 'em out. So you may as well simply take them out and replace.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In a hard water area almost certainly, the limescale build up on the element eventually causes local hotspots and the device will rupture. My parents' element would go (normally short to earth) every two to three years, since getting a water softener it's been in use for almost 10 years (saying that will make it fail now !)

Reply to
Mark Carver