Yet more earthing....

The braided earth cable connecting the Board's earth to my earthing block is a soldered connection to one end of the earthing block. The other end of the block has a single hole large enough for only one 16mm earth cable which is currently connected to the consumer unit.

The latest earthing regulations require a further two connections to this block, namely 10mm from gas main and 10mm from water main.

My intention is to connect a new earthing block (with four 16mm connecting holes) to the old block using a short length of 16mm cable. It will then be possible to connect the required service earths to the new block.

Is this arrangement acceptable and safe or should I get a completely new earthing block fitted by the Board?

Any advice welcome,

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:14:17 GMT, "Cicero" scrawled:

No they don't, they require the 10mm bonding cables from services to be connected to the meterhead, an earthing block as you describe or to the CU's earth bar.

Your way is fine, although you could fit the cables directly to the earth bar in the CU and not need to do any adding of earth blocks.

Reply to
Lurch

----------------

-------------------- Thanks for that information. It tallies with the diagram in my book ('Modern wiring practice'- Steward & Stubbs). I asked a local electrician to test my new consumer unit and he was adamant that I had to make separate connections from gas and water direct to the Board's earthing block "to prevent overloading the earth from the consumer unit to the earthing block" - his words in quotes.

I've now paid my 'Regularisation' fee to the Council and they're going to send someone to inspect. I'll see what they have to say!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 19:40:46 GMT, "Cicero" scrawled:

Give him a ring and tell him from me he's an arse.

Reply to
Lurch

============= I don't think I will - he's not worth the cost of a 'phone call!

Cic.