The gasman calleth...

UK Power came as arranged this morning, and fitted a new cut-out (they called it) Basically what I've usually heard called the company fuse. All very efficient.

So what to do with their new earth terminal? My Fluke measured 0.128v between it and my earth rods - with the ovens on full and the kettle boiling to provide the (near) maximum load.

There is an earth block close to that terminal. That the earth rods go to, and the pipework bonding. With plenty spare ways. Do I just run an earth wire between them, leaving the rods in place?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The'cut-out' was what I heard it called in 1959 when student with the SESEB. The whole unit is the cut out - the company fuse is a constituent part.

Reply to
charles

so I was right, its a cut out rather than a riser :-)

Reply to
SH

Had I seen that post I would have said you were correct when you posted it.

Reply to
ARW

Ideally it would be 16mm earth cable from the new earth terminal directly to your CU.

If you take it to your earth block you need a 16mm earth cable from the earth block to the CU.

However - in both cases you you will need 10mm earth cables to the earth rods from the earth block and if you go direct to the CU you also need a

10mm earth from the CU to the earth block.
Reply to
ARW

It goes 16mm earth rod to earth rod then on to the CU. An additional 16mm from the nearest earth rod goes to the earth block.

The cable from the cutout to the meter (some 5 metres or so) is three phase SWA. 16mm. The 16mm earth cable is clipped to that. The cut out end yellow (with yellow/green tape) is connected to the earth block (I assume for neatness) Dunno if the other end is connected to the CU.

Although I installed the replacement CU, the earth side was done by a mate (now dead) who was qualified and had the test gear. Although he was likely pissed at the time.

I'll have a look. If the SWA earth is connected to the CU earth (or easy to do so) it would be simple to rearrange so a 16mm goes direct from the new earth terminal to the CU. With the SWA one feeding the earth block back from the CU for services grounds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News