Aldi Router and table compatibility. Can't see how to secure the router properly?

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.
Has anybody else figured this puzzle?
Peter wrote:

I didn't get a table, 'cos all 60 were sold in the first 3 1/2 hours. Grr. Have you tried the help line?

I have a sneaking suspicion that, if you still want one, you will have no trouble getting one tomorrow.
Here is the deal.
The router table states on the side of its box, now that I have bothered to look, that it is compatible with routers of diameter up to 6 and 1/4 inches, however, the routers on sale next to the table have a base of 6 and 3/8 inches; the units are not compatible. I cannot see a way of making them compatible without a lot of fuss and the help of a lathe or a milling machine, so both my units are going back to Aldi tomorrow.
Pity, the table, apart from its flimsy wings and legs, seemed adequate, as did the router.
Peter wrote:

Or you just don't know how to fit it? For the life of me I cannot see the Manu selling a router of their own brand and making a table of the same brand not fitting the router. lol -- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:18:42 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Well, some do. I have a Ryobi 1/4" router and table. My Dads 1/2" router won't fit in it. Not a problem really. I suspect that in this instance Aldi just bought a load of cheap incompatible crap as they haven't the first idea about routers and tables.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Lurch wrote:

Are the table and both routers 'Ryobi'? -- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:56:42 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Yes, I meant to insert 'Ryobi' before the '1/4" router' bit, sorry! Table and both routers are Ryobi.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Sorry, I just measured the base of the router again, it's 6 and 11/16th inches at maximum diameter. It won't even nearly fit the aperture provided by the table and without some proper modifications it will wobbles and be far too unstable for safe use.
Peter wrote:

Keep the table and go buy another brand of cheap router then. Like... http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7110632.htm or... http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7107236.htm
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
Peter wrote:

They are supposed to grip the routers outer lip, I agree that holes in the routers base would have been better. The table is no differrent than others that are available in its construction and router mounting. -- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
Peter wrote:

Surely it comes with a reel of sticky tape for this purpose?
--
Grunff

In Aldi they are selling a Makita look-alike SDS drill with drill, etc. Is is going for 25 with a 3 year guarantee. As these are on deals I assume they are normally 50-60. For 25 and a 3 year guarantee it can't be that bad at all. They look OK. Out of interest has anyone bought one?

It can be. The other crap they are selling with the descriptions "router" and "router table" don't even fit together.
Goodness only knows what a 25 SDS drill will be like.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Is
that
But you haven't bought one. That was what I asked, not a rambling drivel comment.

No need. Equating 25 and a 3 year warranty to making something worth buying is completely illogical.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Have you any idea how much it costs to make an SDS drill? Looking at them I would say there is no more than 2 in components.
So being cheap doesn't always equate to making no profit or being poor quality. It does mean no expensive brand name.
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 06:58:54 GMT, "dennis@home"

It depends on where you make it, the design and the type and quality of materials used.

Quite possibly if you buy one of these really cheap ones.
However, a product at this price point is a world apart from a decent SDS drill such as a Bosch, Makita or DeWalt.

Generally it does.
"It is unwise to pay too much, but is is worse to pay too little. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. . . . it can't be done. When you deal with the lowest bidder, it is wise to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better!"- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

There is certainly a level of cost associated with maintaining a brand. However, in the case of the leading power tool manufacturers, it also means getting a good quality product that works properly and safely over a long period of time without being an ergonomic problem to use, and for which proper spares and service are available if ever required.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

I seem to recall a bunch of British motorcycle manufacturers using similar arguments when the first Japanese bikes came out in the UK. All these cheap unknown brands like Honda, Yammaha etc. They won't last, they won't be reliable etc, etc.
Then we heard the same arguments about cheap Japanese cars. All these cheap unknown brands like Datsun, Toyota etc. They won't last, they won't be reliable etc, etc.
The rest, as they say, is history.
Dave
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 07:58:03 GMT, "david lang"

Yes, but this is a rather different game.
The vendors that you mention do produce quality products and support them properly. Those that I mentioned certainly do manufacture in low cost areas but use quality materials, designs and components.
What we are talking about here is simply volume manufacture and warehouse shifting of cheap junk of poor quality, little or no backup addressing a market for disposable products where people buy only on price.
There's nothing wrong with that as long as people understand that there is no backup apart from a unit replacement, accuracy and ergonomics of use are poor and that there could well be safety issues in some cases.
There's also nothing wrong with buying on price, but it's a nonsense to suggest that the quality is the same as a decent product, that the 3 year warranty is a substitute for proper service and spares and that such a product is equivalent to a quality brand when plainly it isn't.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

No you misunderstand. There are no more than 2 of components in an SDS drill even if it is branded Makita or DeWalt.