Aldi Router and table compatibility. Can't see how to secure the router properly?

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

Reply to
Peter

I didn't get a table, 'cos all 60 were sold in the first 3 1/2 hours. Grr. Have you tried the help line?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They are supposed to grip the routers outer lip, I agree that holes in the routers base would have been better. The table is no differrent than others that are available in its construction and router mounting.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I have a sneaking suspicion that, if you still want one, you will have no trouble getting one tomorrow.

Here is the deal.

The router table states on the side of its box, now that I have bothered to look, that it is compatible with routers of diameter up to

6 and 1/4 inches, however, the routers on sale next to the table have a base of 6 and 3/8 inches; the units are not compatible. I cannot see a way of making them compatible without a lot of fuss and the help of a lathe or a milling machine, so both my units are going back to Aldi tomorrow.

Pity, the table, apart from its flimsy wings and legs, seemed adequate, as did the router.

Reply to
Peter

Surely it comes with a reel of sticky tape for this purpose?

Reply to
Grunff

Or you just don't know how to fit it? For the life of me I cannot see the Manu selling a router of their own brand and making a table of the same brand not fitting the router. lol

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sorry, I just measured the base of the router again, it's 6 and

11/16th inches at maximum diameter. It won't even nearly fit the aperture provided by the table and without some proper modifications it will wobbles and be far too unstable for safe use.
Reply to
Peter

Keep the table and go buy another brand of cheap router then. Like...

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:18:42 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" scrawled:

Well, some do. I have a Ryobi 1/4" router and table. My Dads 1/2" router won't fit in it. Not a problem really. I suspect that in this instance Aldi just bought a load of cheap incompatible crap as they haven't the first idea about routers and tables.

Reply to
Lurch

Are the table and both routers 'Ryobi'?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:56:42 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" scrawled:

Yes, I meant to insert 'Ryobi' before the '1/4" router' bit, sorry! Table and both routers are Ryobi.

Reply to
Lurch

In Aldi they are selling a Makita look-alike SDS drill with drill, etc. Is is going for £25 with a 3 year guarantee. As these are on deals I assume they are normally £50-60. For £25 and a 3 year guarantee it can't be that bad at all. They look OK. Out of interest has anyone bought one?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What on earth would lead you to believe that they would be in any way compatible?

This is a box shifting operation that does not have sentient beings in marketing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It can be. The other crap they are selling with the descriptions "router" and "router table" don't even fit together.

Goodness only knows what a £25 SDS drill will be like.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But you haven't bought one. That was what I asked, not a rambling drivel comment.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How much is it to rent a 900w SDS? It is probably worth just buying this drill, and if it does 2 jobs then you are in - 3 yr guarantee so no probs.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No need. Equating £25 and a 3 year warranty to making something worth buying is completely illogical.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That would assume that it actually works and doesn't catch fire, fall apart or cause injury into the bargain.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Brilliant! I was in Aldi myself yesterday, and there were loads of folk pushing around trolleys containing the router and the table.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Have you any idea how much it costs to make an SDS drill? Looking at them I would say there is no more than £2 in components.

So being cheap doesn't always equate to making no profit or being poor quality. It does mean no expensive brand name.

Reply to
dennis