Electricity meter is rattling

Ive just converted my integral garage into a room, with a walk in cupboard at the back The electricity meter used to be at the back of the garage mounted on a wooden board ( a piece of flooring by the looks of it). Anyway i had to relocate this board by moving it a few inches higher up the wall to allow my distribution board to be sited under it. The board was just nailed to the plasterboard wall so I removed it and the whole board rotated 90 degrees and i used one nail to hold it in place temporarily. When I got all the work down, i turned the board back to it original location and moved it higher up the wall and screwed it into place. But now the meter has got this horrendous rattle noise coming from it, sometimes if i tap the meter the rattle will go away but it returns a few seconds later. Im in Scotland so does anyone know who i should get to fix this ( the company i pay my electric bill to or someone else) and will there be a cost as if i am correct in believing, technically the electric meter isnt my property

TIA Doug

Reply to
dougsdir24

Contact your supply company - they will arrange an inspection and replacement. You're not technically allowed to move the board as the whole board is their property, so it might not be a good idea to mention that to them!

auctions

I had a similar problem with a fairly new meter rattling ..well humming lodly actually ..I contacted my electricity supplier (Seeboard) but they said I had to contact Scottish Power and I did and they sent someone out to replace it .

Try Scottish Power .

Reply to
Stuart

Or was it the other way round ..On reflection I think it might have been ....even though the meter belongs to Sc Power they wouldn't deal with it .They wanted my supplier to contact them to get it sorted ....so contact your supplier .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Reply to
dougsdir24

No, if its making funny noises, contact the local REC and get one of their shift electricians out to do a "check for safety".

This should generally happen within 24 hours under any circumstances where you suspect safety might be an issue, depending on the severity of the risk (smell of burning, arcing, and electric shocks are all TOP priority) !

Irrespective of who the meter belongs to, the RECs' shift electricians are empowered to bridge the meter if necessary to ensure the customer remains in supply.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

At which point, fire up the lights and get as much cannabis growing as you can :)

Reply to
Matt