Getting an Economy 7 meter fitted

Whose responsibility is it to fit one, the area board or whoever your 'energy' supplier is ? I've looked on the web sites of Southern and Scottish (my board) and Powergen (my lekky supplier) and can find no clues.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Your energy supplier.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Economy 7 used to be all the rave. These days the electricity companies seem to be very anti it.

I presume that in the days of mainly coal powered generating stations that excess electricity would be generated at night. You are not going to shut down a coal powered fire station to then start it up again the next day.

However, with the move towards greater use of gas powered fire stations, I imagine they can turn the power on and off pretty much at will.

Graham

Reply to
graham

Speak to your supplier (Powergen) and if you can't get their indian call centre to acknowledge they have the remotest clue what you want from them, change supplier.

If you really want to persist with a company that values its (staff?) profits so much they force customers use a foreign call centre with all the ensuing language difficulties, tell them you need them to send a "dataflow" to the meter operator (MOP) to arrange the meter change.

The odds are, it will be Scottish & Southern meter fixers who will do the work on behalf of Powergen.

Note: if you actually manage to get this done make sure you get the meter serial number written down and the reading when the old one is removed. Ditto for the new meter when it goes in - you`ll be surprised how efficient the government made the industry when it was privatised...

Remember you`re not dealing with a single company with a "single point of failure" - there are three "seperate" companies involved now (supplier / network operator / meter operator) each with their own systems that may or may not communicate the correct information to the others.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I've just phoned Powergen. I spoke to a very helpful chap (in Nottingham :-)) who knew exactly what was what. Their 'contractor' is coming in two weeks to change the meter FOC !

[snip]

Yes, I'm not out of the woods yet. I'll be present when the meter is swapped. I'll take some photos of the old and new meters just in case it escalates into an NTL style saga.

Thanks for the replies

Reply to
Mark Carver

The problem is not the fires, but the fact that you have to keep the Alternators turning or they bed down into their bearings and you would never get them started again.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Reply to