Who do I contact for technical info about my gas meter?

My house was built in 1984 and the gas meter has never been updated. It is currently "owned" by Southern Gas. I am trying to find out if it is capable of generating meter pulses as I want to build a data logging/metering system to investigate my daily usage of gas and electricity. The electricity readings can be achieved by clamping a couple of split core CT's around the tails. I already have an energy monitor to connect them to.

I have been through all the usual phone numbers obtained from the web, and surprise, surprise, no results. I seem to be a bit far off the list of standard questions and responses.

Thanks for any advice

Reply to
Rob Horton

In message , Rob Horton writes

Schlumberger? They have a place in Manchester that manufacturers gas meters at the junction of Talbot road, Christie Road and Chester road.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Interesting question. I have a Schlumberger R5 meter which has a socket on it labelled

12V 10mA max, 1 pulse = 1 cubic ft. There's a blanking plug in it which doesn't seem to come out (at least, not easily).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

AFAIK the failure modes of both the E6 and U6 domestic gas meters are in the customers favour. E6 types (electronic and about 250x100x100mm) don't register small gas flows (like pilot lights) which maybe one of the reasons why the utilities have stopped installing them. The U6 types can stop registering units altogether.

I'm surprised the relevant authority hasn't seen fit to replace the meter but with the modern multi-agency utility confusion, that could be why.

Reply to
Ed Sirett