Economy 7

Hello.

Can anyone tell me if I can switch from Economy 7 to a normal flat rate. Is it a major hassle? I'd also be changing supplier.

Thanks.

Ed.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

In article , Ed_Zep writes

Yes, done it, change the supply type first then change supplier, the time to change supply type is a measured performance criteria so should be carried out quite quickly once you request it in writing (after talking to them on the phone). Supplier change can take up to 6wks (the max).

Reply to
fred

I've done the opposite. I informed my supplier (Powergen) over the phone, they gave me a meter changeover date there and then, 16 days away.

On the day sure enough the local electricity board turned up and changed over the meter in about 10 minutes.

It took 5 weeks for the new meter data to reach Powergen however !

(I took photographs of the old meter, the man changing the meter, and the new meter should it all have gone horribly wrong !)

Reply to
Mark Carver

In article , Mark Carver writes

Oh god yes, forgot that bit, take your own meter readings at the change and send them to the supplier (without them asking), 5wks is the short end of what I have seen for post change meter readings to reach them.

Reply to
fred

Fred and Mark, thanks for the responses.

Ed.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

Reply to
SARAH TURNER

Yep - had my meter changed last October and still waiting for Powergen to sort it out 7 months later. I've tried reminding them by email a few times, but they still send me estimated bills and refuse to accept my readings. Maybe after a real meter reader has visited they'll finally notice....

Reply to
Dave N.

If you get a real meter reader call again. They are all subcontracted from the various suppliers now and only read the meters they are asked to read... We have three meters but buy power from three different supliers and we have three different companies come round to read the meters.

BTW PowerGen as fing expensive for 'lectric these days. Wander of to one of the "switch" websites and see how much could save.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can't remember the last time anybody came to read our meters (discounting the bloke from the SEB who turned up in March to change the lekky one to E7)

Powergen's tariff for on-line accounts was quite competitive, it went up recently though. I must sit down again with some on line checkers and see who's the best deal now. Easier for gas as I think the wholesale price is constant across the UK ? Electricity varies considerably depending which 'area board' distributes it, and these wholesale prices then of course get bumped up and passed on to us punters.

I'm almost inclined just to go back to BG and the SEB ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Just revisited uSwich - as it happens the Powergen dual fuel online tariff is still the cheapest for me.

Cheers,

The other Dave.

Reply to
David Neale

Ah I keep forgeting about the dual fuel thing, not having mains gas. Did try to get one company to install it so we could take advantage of their tarrif as advertised on a flyer through our letter box. ISTR that there was no mention of having to have a supply already...

They'd only have to lay a pipe about 2 miles and I'm sure others along the route would take it as well and after reaching us it's only another mile or so down to the village with a lot more potential customers. Short sighted or what?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They should read them every 6 months, though I think the legal requirement might be 12 months). We went through a phase of not having the meters read as well, lasted a couple of years. I kept an eye on the estimated bills and the actual readings. If the estimate was higher I'd send in a reading, if it was lower I kept quiet and thus kept a few quid in my bank account for a bit longer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I did the same last night, and got the same answer. I looked on the SEB (aka Scottish and Southern) site and their electricity charges were 25-30% higher !

Reply to
Mark Carver