Fireworks at new year

Quite why some people think it such a good idea to mount five mortars in their garden and fire pro display stuff skywards for nearly half an hour last night eludes me. The houses shook and as far as I am aware such high power reusable devices are not supposed to be used in domestic gardens. I guess this stuff comes from China.

I know bah humbug and don't be a grouch etc, but its really getting to be any old excuse and all that money is basically burned and blown up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

In message <rsmo9o$hh0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on the front of my house?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I totally agree. Surely we all know what a "bang" is like - why do people need to buy their own?

Reply to
JohnP

Well I tend to agree that some random collection of inflatable santas, static reindeer frame works and miscellaneous set of flashing lights is decidely tacky a good display on the other hand:

That's from 2005 and is probably incandesant light sets. Technolgy has moved on:

2020 indiavidually addressable RGB LEDs.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Round here the first lot kicked off at 22:30 FFS. At least the rest were all at close to midnight.

Reply to
newshound

I wonder whether anyone set off fireworks at 23:00 to celebrate the separation between UK and EU. I live in an area which is probably mainly in favour of Brexit so I was half expecting to hear fireworks, air-horns, church bells etc. But nothing, either at 23:00 (Brexit) or 00:00 (New Year).

Reply to
NY

Yes but the Christmas light merely cause rf interference for a few weeks, with the way fireworks seem to be being used for birthdays and religious celebrations and anything else its all in danger of spiralling out of control. Sooner or later there will be a major accident from one of these highly dangerous pro firework devices. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'm told the bang is merely accidental due to the use of the mortar principal to launch the pretty bit skyward. They are, supposedly more controllable than rockets, but maybe people should simply hire a huge screen and do a cgi display instead. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Or the lack of consideration re the animals that suffer (wild and domestic) from fireworks but I don't suppose that matters to some? What mentality of those who don't care about animals eh!

I was out walking the dog in amongst it and ours doesn't happen to GAF but many do.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I would love to have five mortars in my garden and fire thousands of quids worth of pro display stuff out of them even if only to piss the f*ck out of Brian.

Maybe I will leave instructions in my will to that effect...at my funeral, as a last 'f*ck you' sort of gesture.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ghastly ghastly compression on the backing track. Techno at its worst

What we should so is have exterior building cladding that comprises LCD displays of e.g. mountain scenery to get rid of the ghastliness of low rent urban landscapes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Umm.. from a irredeemable old fart POV while very clever/expensive that is the sort of thing that should have the local planning dept. issuing enforcement notices!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

They were probably 'celebrating' Brexit for 11 p.m.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:rsn3i6$l9r$1 @dont-email.me:

Or laser show onto generated smoke or mist

Perhaps Fire and Explosions had a primordial appeal.

Reply to
JohnP

flashing

It's got a lot easier over the last few years. It was very much DIY, on both the hardware and software side. Now you just need to buy cheap modules, hook them together load the software and Bob is your fathers brother. Apart from the imagination required to set the lights to the music...

At the speed councils operate it would have been and gone. In the US they are often raising not inconsiderable amounts of money for local charities and have limited "show times".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm told that our family dog, which died before I was born, not only refused to go in the Anderson shelter but would sit on top of it barking at the German bombers - either that or possibly doing so to encourage the nearby battery of ground-shaking 3.7" AA guns.

Reply to
Spike

Did it bark to the tune of Rule Britannia, Burt?

Reply to
Bernie