Not so smart meter

Eon came to install a smart meter in the cellar. But there was not enough signal strength. (Well, I never would have expected that, in a cellar, below ground level, etc.) So, the meter was not installed.

Surely, there must be some simple solution to this? The meter is a couple of metres from an air brick, so why not run an aerial lead through that?

Reply to
GB

The simple solution is not to have a smart meter.

Reply to
Michael Chare

It wasn't for me, but for a tenant at my old office, who finds it a chore to go into the cellar to read the meter. I can't say I blame her for that, and it's a simple enough solution to that problem.

Reply to
GB

I had the same problem, except the meter was to be installed in my garage. Must be pretty weak as my phones work fine.

Broadback

Most antennas are on the circuit board in these sort of devices and work at all sorts of funny impedances. The extra circuitry to have a 50 or 75 ohm connector to a length of cable and hence onto a remote antenna is a significant expense and design complication. Long term I don't know what the official solution will be to these difficult locations especially until we have cellular coverage rolled out to every sq metre of the UK. The whole smart metering thing is ill-thought out from start to ..........

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You will probably find like most hubs, and phones the aerial is a bit of printed circuit with no way to extend it, I mean if its inside a meter, its probably not even isolated from the mains anyway, so trying to do as you ask would be illegal. Its illegal to open a meter in any case once its been sealed for calibration reasons. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The other simple solution is not to have a half baked smart meter which nobody else can use as a smart meter cos the industry is bloody useless at agreeing on a standard protocol on how they will be used.

I asked EDF for one of the talking remote boxes that I was advised were available they informed me that nobody had made any yet and as I was on Economy 7 the software in current meters stocked was not able to cope with that!

One could not invent such incompetence, but still it exists just like Jellyfish and sleeping policemen. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff
[Snip]

One of my fellow Parish Councillors, when referring to a particular County Council department, said "They're so incompetant, they must rehearse at it."

Reply to
charles

Before e.on installed my smart meters they asked me whether I knew there was good O2 signal at the electric meter location - do they no longer ask, or did they ask but you were unable to tell them, so they tried anyway?

Reply to
Andy Burns

They do keep pushing them though. Today I received an email about making an appointment to have one fitted. There was a link in the email for a form to complete if you didn't want one. The link opened a form that had no options for refusing one, only selections for which days and times you would be available ... I phoned them instead.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Why the reliance on radio waves, when we can squirt data down power lines ?

(Ducks)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

They couldn't fit one to a mate's house in Tooting where the meter was under the stairs. Like many thousands of other houses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My understanding is that whilst Gas smart meters are battery powered, the electricity ones are mains-powered.

Is that the case? and if so, who pays for powering them? probably insignificant, but just wondering.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Yes, in my case

I think the power of the meter is drawn from the supplier's side, not the customer's side, but that's the same with a dumb electronic meter as a smart meter.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Pedantically, the current sense coil will transfer a minute amount of paid for power into the measuring circuit even if the rest of the meter is powered from the supply side. But as this is UK d-i-y we are allowed to be pedants sometimes!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The ones I know about are a good match to 50 ohms. However, the comment made elsewhere about mains isolation being expensive is probably valid. Also, an external antenna would be very easy to disable, should the customer wish to do without useful features such as remote disconnection of the supply.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

If they implement that feature, it'll probably require a periodic connection to *stop* it from disconnecting.

Reply to
Max Demian

If?

So your local cell site goes off and sometime later so does your power? FTFAGOS!

They, but possibly not the right "they", are already worried about the system being hacked and multiple meters been told to disconnect and/or re-connect in a very short space of time. Great way to destabilse the grid...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was assured by British gas that the smart meter could not disconnect my leccy remotely.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well that just reinforces how far anyone should trust BG about anything.

Reply to
Bob Minchin