Smart Meter Nonsense

Can anybody explain why EDF need to write a letter to me, at least once a year, to advise that they currently read my smart meter at 30 min intervals and that I can if I wish change to daily or monthly readings - do I care! It's a business account at a village hall.
Peter
http://www.avg.com
On 20/01/2018 18:17, Peter Andrews wrote:

IIRC it stems from worries some expressed about data protection/invasion of privacy: eg "burglars will know when we are out".
--
Robin
On 20/01/2018 18:17, Peter Andrews wrote:

Life expectancy of the battery in the meter? The more it responds to a request to transmit data the shorter the life of the battery?
I've read that when the battery fails the supply may be automatically cut off.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

alan_m wrote:

Smart gas meters do have batteries, but smart electricity meters work on mains power.

Makes sense. I wonder who is paying for the extra electric to run millions of smartmeters, them or us?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Why are you worried about a penny a year?
--
I was on a train this morning, in the loo, when a voice called out "Can I see your ticket please?"
"Not right now," I replied, "I'm having a shit."

Smart meters are paid for by consumers/customers at a lot more than 1p/annum
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Whether you take them or not presumably.
I'll only take one if I benefit from it. As yet EDF haven't told me how I will.
--
Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 22:38:07 +0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

"You'll know exactly how much electricity you're using"
- You mean like a meter ?
"No, you can see when you are using too much. Instantly"
- you mean like a meter ?
"But we've been told that everyone we'd try to get to take them would think they are wonderful"
- Were you ?
Sorry, guys. The *only* feature of smart meters that the powers that be GAS about is once you have one, you can be cut off remotely, thus avoiding the damaging news stories (with video) of the police forcing their way into Nice Doris' (93) flat to cut her off.
The sum that matters is :
*cost of fitting UK with smart meters < cost of building power stations*
As the Carillion collapse shows, the UK probably hasn't got the infrastructure to build a power station if it wanted to.

how

I've got a 5 device that does that. It's sat on my desk next to me and picks up a signal by wireless from a clamp on the meter tail in the box outside.

They can't cut me off, smart meter or not, without digging up the ground. My meter's on the outside wall of my house. Now why they could pull the master fuse etc, there's nothing to stop me just putting another one back in.

s*

-- It's strange, isn't it? You stand in the middle of a library and go "Aaaaaaagghhhh!!!!" and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an aeroplane, and everyone joins in.
On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 13:47:54 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

and

Aye, also connected to the server to log power use at one minute intervals.

That's why they come a dig up the road. I wonder what a Smart Meter does when it's been told to cut the supply and some one by passes it? Will it report power on it's output terminals when supposedly "off"? Will it report loss of power on its input if its reconnected(*), cross matchable with recorded outages? Will "the system" notice no useage reports after a while if left disconnected.
The connection from main cutout to meter is normally direct so not easy to break into and maintain the supply to the meter whilst working live. Not impossible but tricky in practice to avoid the flash BANG.
--
Cheers
Dave.

e and

ox

No, it's my own device. It's not on the internet, it just uses wireless frequencies (local frequencies like your router) so I don't need a wire from the meter box outside to the box inside.

ng

I wouldn't put power on its output terminals. I'd just move the fusebox wire from the output to the input side of the meter. The meter would think my neighbour was using power (if it could even tell).

A short interruption to the meter's supply wouldn't make it do anything. It must expect outages.
-- Boys who rub me up the wrong way come to a sticky end. -- Stephen Fry
On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 15:25:34 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

me

in

Niethers mine, "server" is my server, located upstairs. The server can serve a web page of the data viewable only on the LAN.

None of my routers have any wireless side.

Meter

it?

"off"?

That's an obvious one not to do.

g.

You've not got your anti-fraud hat on properly. Agreed a meter should expect outages but not reporting loss of input from x to y date/time when in "off" mode next time it phones home opens the door to fraud a little. All outages on the DNO's network are recorded, either by an auto-recloser phoneing home to say it tripped/locked out, same for larger sub-stations and primary sub-stations or routine/maintenance work or fault clearance. For the latter all switching alterations, and the sequence of them, required to isolate a section of line go through and are approved by the DNO's control room before being actioned on the ground. Failure of the grid would also be recorded. PoP to automatically check if there was an outage when the meter says there was one and raise a flag to "safety check" the meter if there wasn't a recorded outage and the meter is in "off" mode.
--
Cheers
Dave.

What, even when Toothless Dave brings down the overhead line to my house with the combine?
:o)
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 21st day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

I think there would be strong evidence of that when they came out to repair it.
--
"The hands that help are better far than lips that pray." - Robert Ingersoll (1833-1899)

On 21 Jan 2018 16:34:01 GMT, Huge wrote:

should

date/time

fraud a

One assumes the DNO will come along and repair the line. Which will need that section to be isolated and thus will be recorded. The auto-recloser feeding that section will also have phoned home to say it's tripped or (hopefully) locked out. The automatics are quick, if the power stays off here for more than a few minutes I'm on the phone reporting the outage. Quite often the response is "Oh, we not aware of an outage there" click, click on keyboard, "oh yes, I see we do have a problem...".
--
Cheers
Dave.

If it takes out more than one house perhaps.
--
Can you be a closet claustrophobic?

On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 19:17:23 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

my

will

say

Unlikely that an auto-recloser will only be feeding one house unless that house is the only place supplied on the end of a long line, think miles.
Auto-reclosers tend to be near the primary substation that is feeding the 11 kV distribution lines for an area. Those lines can be tens of miles long and made of multiple sections with interconnects between different lines. Some interconnects may have an auto-recloser but most are just an manual air switch. Not sure how they "phone home" but as they are all connected back to the primary substation the obvious way to achieve the first hop is over the power lines.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Which is why I was questioning whether they would know about Toothless Dave.
--
Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?

The 11kV overhead here has a breaker at least 1 mile from the nearest substation although there is a spur feeding this end of the village and a transformer feeding two isolated houses. I don't know how it operates but the maintenance crew always complain about poor telephone signals.

--
Tim Lamb