Smart Meter Nonsense

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 09:07:10 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

That's within the range of "close". B-)

An auto-recloser is a box up a pole withe the three phases looping through it. An air switch is an open frame work with the three phases passing through it (or not if it's left normally open...) this has a bar running down the pole to a locked lever handle to open/close it.
The crews complain of poor mobile signals as they have to get clearance from the DNOs control rrom before they start flicking switches on/off. Only the control room has a complete picture of which switches are open or closed or which sections have faults or which sections are under maintenance.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Auto-recloser then. Family history has it that one of father's cows got its head jammed in the pylon (welded gantry and air switch) next to what used to be a substation and caused some interesting pyrotechnics. A protective fence was hurriedly erected.

Not using Vodafone then:-)

--
Tim Lamb

No mobile company has good coverage everywhere. Why the fuck can't they just share?!
--
A friend of mine suffers from verdigris. Goes green when looking down from a height!

Graham. wrote:

directly them, indirectly us I suppose.
Graham. wrote:

Smart meters would not exist if the power companies did not make more money from their use.

But that can be because they don’t need an army of meter readers.
On 21/01/2018 10:00, Rod Speed wrote:

But what about the yearly "safety checks" that the meter readers perform?
BG were fond of sending letters with red print stating that they could get a court order to obtain access to your property if you didn't make an appointment to let the meter reader in to perform the "SAFETY CHECK". These letters were routinely sent out if the meter hadn't been read for 18 months irrespective of providing multiple self reads. However, most meter readers were in it for an easy life and this meter read could be a self meter read if you filled in the numbers on a card and left it outside for them to collect.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 21/01/2018 10:57, alan_m wrote:

I think you will find there is a legal obligation to perform checks periodically.
You will also find that they can't just cut you off even if a smart meter would allow them to do so.
alan_m has brought this to us :

I cannot recall a meter reader ever performing any sort of 'safety check' here in the past 40+ years.

Would you notice if he checked that the seals on the meter and cable head are intact?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

No, but I would notice if they were replaced..
My E meter had no seal fitted for 20 years, until an SM was installed.
On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 14:57:00 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yup, and if you cut the seal off, no meter reader ever so much as mentioned it.
On 20/01/2018 19:16, alan_m wrote:

I'm surprised an electric smart meter has a battery, apart from backup purposes!
On 20/01/2018 19:16, alan_m wrote:

That is BS. Electric meters don't have batteries to run flat and smart gas meters wouldn't shut the gas off because of safety concerns. You probably heard it from a paranoid I don't want a smart meter person.
On Saturday, 20 January 2018 18:14:08 UTC, Peter Andrews wrote:

The ultimate purpose of smart meters is to cope with intermiitancy as renewable energy sources come to predominate. You will be charged more when the wind don't blow.
On 21/01/2018 07:11, harry wrote:

Or cut off when the wind doesn't blow!
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 21/01/2018 10:59, alan_m wrote:

Only if you are on a green tariff where 100% of your energy is from green sources.

Then we'll all be on "green" tariffs.
I have also heard on good authority ("Big" Clive Mitchell) that in the future, domestic smartmeters can be switched to a mode that will take account of, and penalise you for, presenting a load with a poor power factor.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On Sunday, 21 January 2018 14:50:15 UTC, Graham. wrote:

That is already done to commercial users.
On 21/01/2018 16:20, harry wrote:

Its not *done* to commercial users, they get rates depending on factors like; power factor, peak power, etc.
The savings can be enough to get big sites to actively cut some power when demand is getting high.