Smart meters = yet more big brother

Ovo energy just sent me a email saying the Government want EVERY home in the uk to have a smartmeter by 2020. The gov can go to hell as far as i;'m concerned. The real reason is of course that they want to be able to turn YOUR energy supply off via the internet - and hence control YOUR life. It has nothing to do with energy conservation of any other similar bullshit
mac wrote:

Calm Down Dear!!
There is no obligation to have a smart meeter fitted. You can politely decline the offer.
On Thursday, 9 February 2017 13:09:16 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

Surely you don't have to be polite about it :-)
whisky-dave wrote:

Well I would be polite to start with. If they then came back with any BS saying I had to have one then I'd tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.
Tim is of course correct that it is only smart appliances that have the possibility to be turned on and off - but my router might just block those commands. A smart meter can just cut off your whole supply either deliberately or by someone hacking the system and believe me some will hack the system if only as a challenge.
Bob Minchin wrote:

Or just a section if wired that way.

The place a wire around the meter.
--
Never have I seen a word as accurate as politics.
Poly meaning many, and tic being a blood-sucking thing.

My water supplier says that, as I am in an area of special water conservation problem, or similar, that ALL homes will have smart water meters fitted, and we can't decline them.
--
Davey.

water metering is different
they can't be used to deny you a supply, for example
On 09/02/2017 17:09, tim... wrote:

And... all the ones I've seen are off-property so the waterboard can presumably do whatever they want once you've agreed to have a metered supply.

Go to the nearest stream and "steal" water in a bucket. That'll tell them!
--
A group of white South Africans recently killed a black lawyer because he was black. That was wrong. They should have killed him because he was a lawyer.

Bob Minchin wrote:

Or until the government mandates smart meter connection.
F Murtz wrote:

To be honest, they should have done that from the outset. But instead they are try to sell it to UK public as an advantage of energy saving and elimination of estimated bills and making them pay for it too. I'm pretty certain the French govt are mandating smart meters on their rollout programme.
On 10/02/2017 10:42, Bob Minchin wrote:

Smart meters cost much more to run mainly becuase of their use of the mobile network. They are not charged for directly but the operators will have to recover their costs from their customers.
They allow operators to charge more during periods of peak demand, so you could find that the cost of cooking your dinner rises.
With monthly DD payments estimated meter readings are much less of a problem, and many operators allow you to submit your meter reading online if you want to.
There would be some sense in having smart meters which customers could access via their Wifi.
--
Michael Chare

Michael Chare wrote:

Sadly I don't think that many if any will do this. They talk to a bespoke display unit but I don't think you can get any data out of that. furthermore I don't think it lets you see what and when data is being taken by the supplier. IF when time variant pricing takes hold, it rather suggests that you wont be able to read the meter manually or automatically to verify what your bill says in terms of x units at A tariff and y units at B tariff and so on.
This is something that would concern me and an important principle being lost.
Bob Minchin wrote:

According to: <https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/smart-metering-implementation-programme-information-leaflet>
"Who will be able to see energy consumption data?
Consumers will be able to see their near real time energy consumption data on their In-Home Display and to download more detailed historic data from their home network. "
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Maybe but there has been discussion in other fora of the lack of information on the communication protocol from people wanting to do just that. There is a revised standard for smart meters about to be rolled out about now and so maybe this is more accessible to home computers.
On Friday, 10 February 2017 13:40:25 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

-programme-information-leaflet>

I can sort of do that now without a smart meter, if I give my meter reading s once a month or 1 in 3 I can go to the npower site and they can show what they've done. Which is a couple of simple pie charts and predictions on wh at next years bill might be. I assume if a smartmeter as installed it would send data back to npower who would them create a pie chart from that, rather than getting data from the meter myself. One energy company was employing a friend of mine to write an app that show ed energy usauge over the hour day week month etc.. never got complteted be cause they couldnlt provide enough data on demand. He didn't have a smart m eter so the test data was downloaded from their site.

On 10/02/2017 14:43, whisky-dave wrote:

...but not the consumption of an individual appliance, and certainly not the consumption integrated over time, such as the average consumption of a fridge, or other appliance controlled by a thermostat.

I can do that by timing the number of seconds for the disc (of my old fashioned magnetic meter) to make a complete revolution and dividing it into 21,600 to yield the total (instant) consumption in watts.
--
Max Demian

On Friday, 10 February 2017 15:52:54 UTC, Max Demian wrote:

Not presently no. But it could be done with smart appliances.

But it could be done with smart appliances. I have a standaloan plugin unit I brought from maplin 10 years ago that can do it.

I have a meter with 2 LCDs displaces but it;s not a smart meter.
On 10/02/2017 11:59, Michael Chare wrote:

Wouldn't that entail giving the meter your Wi-Fi password, enabling the supplier to access any shared drives on your network?
--
Max Demian