Smart meters = yet more big brother

Ovo energy just sent me a email saying the Government want EVERY home in the uk to have a smartmeter by 2020. The gov can go to hell as far as i;'m concerned. The real reason is of course that they want to be able to turn YOUR energy supply off via the internet - and hence control YOUR life. It has nothing to do with energy conservation of any other similar bullshit

Reply to
mac

Calm Down Dear!!

There is no obligation to have a smart meeter fitted. You can politely decline the offer.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Surely you don't have to be polite about it :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

that might be the ultimate intention

but it is impossible without you also buying smart appliances

so the solution is simple

tim

Reply to
tim...

Have you got a reference for that? I assumed the smartmeter had an internal circuit breaker.

Reply to
Graham.

Well I would be polite to start with. If they then came back with any BS saying I had to have one then I'd tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

Tim is of course correct that it is only smart appliances that have the possibility to be turned on and off - but my router might just block those commands. A smart meter can just cut off your whole supply either deliberately or by someone hacking the system and believe me some will hack the system if only as a challenge.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes it does

Reply to
Bob Minchin

well of course it can turn everything off

but that is never ever going to be allowed to happen, is it?

It is selective reduction in usage that is the aim, and that only works with smart appliances

tim

Reply to
tim...

My water supplier says that, as I am in an area of special water conservation problem, or similar, that ALL homes will have smart water meters fitted, and we can't decline them.

Reply to
Davey

water metering is different

they can't be used to deny you a supply, for example

Reply to
tim...

En el artículo , tim... escribió:

Your naïveté really is quite endearing.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

[checks wire cutters to snip the seals, 100A DP connector block, screwdriver & head torch still here]

Where's the problem? I don't believe they'd prosecute following a hack which cut me off for more than an hour or so.

Mind you, I'd first check if the "emergency credit" button worked

Reply to
Robin

And... all the ones I've seen are off-property so the waterboard can presumably do whatever they want once you've agreed to have a metered supply.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Oh really? Its easy enough for most drug growers to bypass a meter it seems. No I think they need real data certainly then they will microprice it so its cheap when you normally don't use it but expensive when you do. The issue at the moment and I feel this shows how badly its been handled is that the current meters cannot cope with economy 7, which is why I don't have one yet! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

In article , tim... writes

More likely to be phased charging.

Reply to
bert

Not all smart meters are turn-offable. As far as I can tell from the spec I found online, mine isn't. Such a meter requires a bulky internal mechanical switch, as solid-state devices can't cope with lightning surges.

Also it's the phone network, not the internet that's used for control.

The real reason is to avoid having to pay meter-readers, who often can't get anyone to open the front door.

Reply to
Dave W

Don't you remember it? It's not that long ago. 1967 to 1977.

In the network yes but not any given pipe. They did it a street/section at a time. They surveyed what appliances were in use, some couldn't be converted but most could. A day for switch over on a particular section was set and they'd decend mob handed, turn all the gas upplies off, convert all the appliances, change the regulator (I think), purge the mains, flareing off the town gas until the mains where full of NG. The go round turning supplies back on and checking pilot lights etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave W writes

My understanding from a friend in California is that they can shed multiple small areas at times of great demand, and there is some sort of system in place that makes it work reasonably well. He seems to think it is a huge improvement on the random power failures/switch offs that used to happen before.

I think (based on my ignorance) our better engineered system has been far more reliable than theirs, but has been endangered by political and financial non-leadership. I have not responded to the recent offer to have a smart meter fitted.

Reply to
Bill

Or just a section if wired that way.

Reply to
F Murtz

Or until the government mandates smart meter connection.

Reply to
F Murtz