Yet more Smart Meters

I read here some weeks ago that the installation of a Smart Meter was not mandatory, but I have just received a notice about the impending installation of a water meter in Essex.
It includes this note:
"Do I have to have a meter?
Yes, where technically possible. The Secretary of State for the Environment has approved our plan to meter customers' properties because we are operating in an area designated as being under severe water stress."
In this case, as the place is subject to limited occupation, say about one week per month on average, having metering may well be advantageous, and I have the option of remaining on the old payment system for up to two years.
--
Davey.

On Wednesday, 11 January 2017 11:54:43 UTC, Davey wrote:

It doesn;t say it's a smart meter though, so maybe it won't be smart.

Davey wrote:

Is it a water meter, or a smart water meter?
A few years ago Severn Trent had a division producing smart water meters. By the time I got smart gas/elec meters and was interested to know if they could fit a smart water meter, they'd flogged that division off, and I think the main company became USA based, and now we just have STwater in the UK and the consumer division doesn't have the option of installing one.
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:15:24 +0000

It doesn't use the term 'Smart', but it does say that it will use Automatic Meter Reading Technology, "allowing the company to read the meter by just driving past the property". I guess this qualifies as a Smart Meter.
How they install this is going to be interesting. The five flats' supplies split, with 'Y's, inside a pipe chase, which is just big enough for the pipes, but hardly for meters as well. Outside the property would meter the whole property, not individual flats.
--
Davey.

On 11-Jan-17 12:27 PM, Davey wrote:

In some flats I know, the meters are installed in each flat, where the supply enters the flat.

Colin Bignell
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:32:59 +0000

In my case, that is buried somewhere in the walls or under the floor!
--
Davey.

On 11-Jan-17 2:45 PM, Davey wrote:

Do you not have a stopcock in the flat? If you do, it would be installed just before that.

Colin Bignell
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:19:09 +0000

Good question. I'll look next time I'm there. If so, it is probably in the airing cupboard, where all the plumbing lives. It's worth finding it anyway, just in case of emergency.
--
Davey.

writes

When I was first offered a water meter years ago, I rang NW Water and asked whether I would be able to read it myself. They didn't seem to understand the question and I never heard from them again.
I am on a quarterly bill arrangement with electricity. They sent a bill at the usual date, which I paid. Then a month later they sent an additional estimated bill to me and also one to an ageing relative, which distressed her. I emailed asking why we had a supplementary bill, when the contract said quarterly. They replied just saying the bill was due and should be paid. I then exchanged 3 more emails with them asking why the bill and why they still hadn't answered the question. At that point I decided life was too short, checked the meter myself and paid. Meanwhile the relative rang them a few times and finally got through. She said the nice young man said it must be a mistake and she should not pay. She doesn't seem to have been hauled off to court yet.
I'd be much happier if I felt I was dealing with a vaguely competent organisation.
--
Bill

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:58:23 +0000

This company, Affinity Water, shows a meter in the bumph which has a readable display. There is no guarantee that that is the meter which will be installed, of course. Due to the afore-mentioned installation puzzle, it will be interesting to find out if it even visible, let alone readable.
--
Davey.

On 11/01/2017 15:12, Davey wrote:

Water meter that can be remotely read are common. There is a cable to a plastic dome somewhere on the outside of the building and they can read it from there. Flats often have a bank of such terminations so that all the meters can be rad in one place. They sometimes fit that type of meter in the road, its why there is a plastic cap in the centre of the covers in the pavement.
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:50:56 +0000

But six hours ago I posted in this thread: 'but it does say that it will use Automatic Meter Reading Technology, "allowing the company to read the meter by just driving past the property".'
--
Davey.

on 11/01/2017, dennis@home supposed :

No dome on our meter and it can be remotely read. It just has the brass part with the two pipes - the base, then the digits plus a plastic cased section which are able to swivel on the base to it to be set to an angle where it can be read.
YW assured us it could be read remotely from the road at the end of our drive, through the house walls to where it is located at the back of the house.
On 11/01/2017 18:50, dennis@home wrote:

Thames fitted that technology around the start of the century. Then ceased to do so around 2008 when the remote readers failed one after the other. We had one. Thames replaced it with a meter-cum-stopcock-in-the-pavement. That is still their default. With no plastic cap. But readable other than by eyeball (and by eyeball).
--
Robin
On 11/01/17 18:50, dennis@home wrote:

You know, I have been wondering what that was all about for some time...
On 11/01/2017 12:27, Davey wrote:

This is what we have, and have had for a couple or three years now. It has the usual mileometer style readout but has an add-on that can be read remotely.
Saves me ringing them up to correct their hopeless estimates as I used to have to.

When they managed to concrete up my last water meter in the footway due to the very efficient contractor doing it, they put in a smart water meter which apparently can be read by just driving by it in a car. However I am told it still has a dial or display I can look at. I told them that I was blind so it hardly matters, but if the readings go wrong I might ask to be informed how to log in and check it! As for leccy meters, I'm being told that all properties will have to have smart meters by the end of 2020, oh good can I have one now, no, they cannot cope with enconomy rates yet, Huh? I'd sack the designers.
Apparently if you are in some god forsaken outflung place which has leccy but not much else you can still keep the old meter until a solution is found to communicate to it. Brian
--
----- -
You can keep the old style mechanical meter wherever you live. Smart are not compulsory.

On 11/01/2017 13:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Apparently if you are in some god forsaken outflung place which has leccy
Well I think that depends on the company. They obviously don't want to employ readers and they don't trust the user to read them either. so in effect you will not find anyone wishing to supply you unless you have one after 2020. Brian
--
----- -
It doesn't depend on the company. It's how it is. You don't have to accept a smart meter, you can insist on a mechanical one.