Smart meters yet again - EON

"We need to upgrade your electricity and gas meters to our new self- reading smart meters. Why are we changing your meters? We need to install smart meters into all of our customers' homes as part of a government led nationwide upgrade programme. The good news is they have great benefits for you: •No need to provide meter readings, they're sent to us automatically •No more estimated bills1 •See how much energy you're using and what it's costing you, with a helpful in-home display. "
However I can ring up and tell them that I don't want one. :-)
I wonder how many neighbours will go onto smart metering?
Having had the knee jerk "No Way!!!" response, I am wondering if there is a major down side if the meter is SMETS 2 compatible.
Do all power companies support SMETS 2 meters and use them if you switch suppliers?
The only minor benefit I can see at the moment is monitoring of gas usage as I already have a free clamp on meter from EON for the electricity.
Cheers
Dave R

You should always look at these things from the PoV of;
- What happens if it goes wrong? - What happens if it's hacked/compromised? - What benefits accrue to the people trying to "sell" this to me? - What happens if it's abused?
rather then from the PoV of the minimal benefits that accrue to you.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 17th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:02:43 +0000, Huge wrote:

Smart meters - 5 points:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHQT16jBFEw

--
Microsoft has EU in its grip:-

The Microsoft cyber attack | DW Documentary
On 12/06/2018 13:10, Martin Barclay wrote:

Well that's pretty much BS.
Smart meters save you money even if you don't have one as they don't need an army of readers to go out and read them.
They can save you money as some companies are now offering different tariffs to customers with smart meters as they can give free days or variable tariffs. If your lifestyle fits one of these tariffs you save money if it doesn't, well neither does the one you are on.
As for data mining, well just what can you tell from a meter reading every few minutes? Answer not a lot. Is it worth anything, well to them as buyers of energy yes, to anyone else probably not.
On 12/06/2018 14:20, dennis@home wrote:

Then that 'saving' is for the company, NOT the consumer.
I send an accurate electric meter reading every three months when EDF send me an email requesting it. My balance is updated immediately and I can pay immediately or wait 2 days to get an actual electronic bill and then pay it.
However, if I was on direct debits (sic) then i would be paying an *estimated* amount every month, whereas I actually pay the proper balance in FULL, and yet derive none of the financial bribes for DD.
Since most people on DD ended up in credit it is easy to see why the energy companies preferred DD's.
On 12/06/2018 14:39, Andrew wrote:

We have had smart meters for 5+ years. We have never been in credit by more than about £75. With the interest rates over that period, the loss of income to us is trivial. It is dwarfed by the discounts/lower tariffs offered for monthly DDs.
--
Robin
On 12/06/2018 14:49, Robin wrote:

You can change them anyway so you don't run up credit.
On 12/06/2018 14:49, Robin wrote:

I have never, ever been in credit except for bloody BT who made it almost impossible to avoid paying by DD.
Multiply your £75 by a few million customers and you can see why utilities just luv 'em, especially when they know that most customers are too lazy or stupid to send accurate meter readings in.
On 12/06/2018 14:39, Andrew wrote:

The consumer pays for all the costs of a business!

They like to know they are getting money to spend rather than risk you not paying when the bill arrives and them having to borrow to cover your debt and pay the collectors, etc.
The actual rate of interest they can earn on your cash is quite low compared to the costs if you don't pay.
Maybe you could get a better deal by paying 3 months in advance? Or how about a smart meter and paying daily or by the unit?
On 12/06/2018 17:11, dennis@home wrote:

But benefits from *none* of any savings that they (the customer) make on behalf of the company.
Take BT, they used to give credits for customers opting for electronic bills. Then the saving was quietly removed, along with a variety of call credits and free caller-id.
Andrew wrote:

It is still free with a 12 month contract (which is itself a worthwhile saving) :
<http://home.bt.com/news/btlife/get-bt-privacy-with-caller-display-free-11363844996657
The qualifying calls (2 per month) can be free (officially "within your calling plan").
As all my calls are made via 18185, I have a reminder to make a couple of BT weekend calls every 4 weeks, to a local line I know always has an answerphone.
The good news is that BT are reducing their line rental by £7 per month if you only take their landline service.
<http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60353/~/reduced-rental-for-landline-only-customers
The bad news is that if you have broadband, even if it is Virgin, which uses no BT equipment, you are not eligible.
"I have a broadband service with Virgin, am I eligible for the discount?
To be eligible, you must not have broadband with BT or any other broadband provider. This includes Virgin broadband. This discount is for customers that only have a line rental service."
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 14:24:22 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Ethernet would be OK, then. That's baseband! :)
On 13/06/2018 13:20, Andrew wrote:

Of course they do, if they didn't make the savings the consumer would have to pay more when they put the price up more to pay the extra costs.

And your point being?
BTW you can still have free CI, and there are bill savings to be had if you pay by DD and have paperless billing.
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 16:36:09 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

How long do you think that will last ? When will they charge extra for NOT paying by DD and then won't accept any other method of payment other than DD.
You used to be able to get discounts by paying cash few places do this now.

Because it costs them more to do it that way.
You used to be able to hire a car with cash, but its only the absolute dregs end of the market like 'Rent a Wreck' that still let you do it like that now, because of the much higher cost of handling all that cash.
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 20:07:33 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

and now yputr saying it doesn't cost them more, so what's changed ?

No I'm not.

Quite a bit. The surcharge for card transactions has dropped dramatically, particularly with debit cards and eftpos. And the retailers have realised that the credit card operations were lying to them when they claimed that the merchant agreement meant that they couldn’t apply a surcharge to the customer to to cover the merchant fee. They used to offer a discount for cash to get around that. They now know they are free to slug the customer the fee if they want to. And now that most don’t pay with cash anymore, they realise that handling that cash costs them more than using a card does.

On 13/06/2018 16:41, whisky-dave wrote:

That's because they were getting caught with the fiddles for paying in cash. You don't think that when you paid cash for things that you actually got legit goods or that the legal taxes were paid do you? IME the goods were quite often marked as stolen/lost and the cash never went in the till.
On Thursday, 14 June 2018 08:32:40 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

Who was getting caught or rather who wasn't making a profit from a transaction between me and the suplier is key here ?

Yes I do. I think if I go into a shop and pay cash for my lunch I'm getting the same lunch as if I paid by card, I do it everyday. No one says to me well it's cheaper if you pay by card so you get a discount.

Don't shoop at those places, I wouldn't. Some of the biggest fiddles going use money transfer rather than cash. I don't know anyone that buys from ebay with cash.

Some do, particularly when you pick it up in person because its too expensive to have it shipped with the bigger stuff.