Smart meters yet again - EON

Which realistic rate is this? Its currently about 4p/kWh + another ~2p for deemed export if you don't have a meter.

You aren't going to make much profit from that. Not like harry who is getting ~50p a kWh.

Reply to
dennis

You are wasting your time with him.

Reply to
dennis

whisky-dave laid this down on his screen :

Manually reading your meter every 30 minutes would seem to bit of a chore to me. The smart meter can do that every 30 minutes, without fail.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We use an average of 30kWh a day, averaged over the whole year. The gas is about three times that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Andrew laid this down on his screen :

I understand they make use of which ever network is available locally.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ethernet would be OK, then. That's baseband! :)

Reply to
Bob Eager

The Q is why would anyone need a meter reading every 30 mins ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

whisky-dave wrote on 13/06/2018 :

So you know what you are consuming, during which part of the day. A daily reading, gives no clue as to how much you might be consuming during the night. I know precisely what my back ground consumption is, I know how my gas costs me when I take a bath.

I can also work out how much water I use when I pressure wash my drive, should I be curious to know by checking my water meter. Knowledge is king.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why should you expect to make a profit at all ?.

The current FIT means a payback time of about 18 years which seems about right.

A similar investment in a decent Fund or Investment trust would be a better use of the money though. You should expect capital growth of at least 100% over that period and a rising stream of dividends to pay the ever increasing cost of energy.

Reply to
Andrew

On what ?. Even in summer ??.

Do you have a house full of downlighters and teenagers ?

Reply to
Andrew

I don't think EDF Energy (formerly SEEBoard) has shareholders.

The owner (since 2012) is a Hong Kong-based zillionaire.

EDF (france) is still state-owned.

Reply to
Andrew

Martin Barclay

EDF Energy is still a subsidiary of EDF S.A.

Reply to
Robin

Read it again. "Averaged over the whole year".

No, but rather a lot of computers.

And two young adults.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There is no requirement for interruptible feeds.. You do what they do in industry...

if you exceed X kW during time period Y you pay more. Then its up to the consumer to decide if they want to pay or turn it off.

What they should do is have green tariffs where if the consumption exceeds the generation they can charge them a lot more to cover the cost of backup plant needed because of the renewable energy generation.

Reply to
dennis

That's because they were getting caught with the fiddles for paying in cash. You don't think that when you paid cash for things that you actually got legit goods or that the legal taxes were paid do you? IME the goods were quite often marked as stolen/lost and the cash never went in the till.

Reply to
dennis

Which is why few are having solar PV these days. The government no longer wants solar PV so they have made it so people won't want it.

Reply to
dennis

On 13/06/18 10:25, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

"Under the rules of the Direct Debit Guarantee, you should be told of the change at least ten working days before the money is taken from your account. If you are not told in writing or on your bill, you can complain and ask for compensation from your bank."

Note "you should be told" not "you must be told". Even this weasel-wording misses the point, as the paragraph makes it quite clear by using the wording "If you are not told..." that changes can occur without your knowledge. Even though this might happen in error (or maybe by design...), it can occur.

I actually have little issue with the DD guarantee itself. If an incorrect payment - for whatever reason - has been made, then that money must be immediately refunded to your account pending an investigation. My issue is with what happens if you suffer loss or damage as a result of insufficient funds being available in your account due to an incorrect DD withdrawal.

Let's assume you have £1001 in your account. You pay several DDs a month, one of them being a regular £50 premium payment for an insurance policy. One of the conditions of that policy is that it becomes void if a premium payment is missed. Another company makes a mistake and instead of withdrawing £100 a month, somehow increases it to £1000, and forgets to tell you (or doesn't realise itself an error has been made). Now that DD will take place as there are sufficient funds for it (if it had been £1002 it would have been rejected). So you have £1 left in your account. When the insurance premium DD is applied, it is rejected due to insufficient funds, so you are now uninsured. Now, of course, Murphy's Law comes into play, and you suffer a substantial loss totalling, shall we say, £20000 (car, property, contents, whatever). How do you get the money back? You inform the bank and company who took the wrong amount, and immediately are refunded £900 under the DD guarantee. But what about the £20000? The insurance company is in its right to not pay out as you breached the terms by missing a payment. What about the bank? Well, they didn't make a mistake - they were following your orders to pay a DD to the other company. So it is back to the company who withdrew the extra £900 in error. You will have to sue them for your losses (hoping that the haven't gone bust), as this is not part of the DD guarantee. I asked

about this over a year ago, and got this reply:

"A complaint will need to be raised with the company that has taken the wrong amount.

Within that complaint, you will need to mention any losses that have occurred as a result of the mistaken amount.

If the company do not deal with the complaint to your satisfaction, the complaint will need to be escalated to the Financial Ombudsman."

You might find the Financial Ombudsman website of interest, as DD problems have been discussed there since DDs were introduced years ago. For example see

Now compare all this hassle with a Standing Order. You control it completely. If you make an error, it's your fault. If the bank makes an error, it's the banks fault. If, in the example above, the bank's error leads to your insurance loss, I can't see any reputable bank not paying you damages for your loss (just think about the bad publicity if they didn't). And, if you had to take them to court, can you see a court not finding in your favour?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

But I already know that and even if I didn't why does that information need to go to the provider every 30 mins. Sure collect the data on what I'm using every second if you like but why transmit it back to the supplier ?. I do have a unit which records what I'm using every 1/2 hour.

Me too and NONE of it needed to calculate my bill at the end of the month or 1/4.

I don't have a water meter wish I did.

Does your water company need to know how much water you use to wash your car ? Does it make any differnce whether you wash your car, yourself, or your dog to the water company ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Who was getting caught or rather who wasn't making a profit from a transaction between me and the suplier is key here ?

Yes I do. I think if I go into a shop and pay cash for my lunch I'm getting the same lunch as if I paid by card, I do it everyday. No one says to me well it's cheaper if you pay by card so you get a discount.

Don't shoop at those places, I wouldn't. Some of the biggest fiddles going use money transfer rather than cash. I don't know anyone that buys from ebay with cash.

Reply to
whisky-dave