eBac dehumidifier (again) - pictures ?

Trying to follow advice on other thread, here's what's on the side of the compressor.

It's clearly not a relay - maybe a capacitor ?

I notice there are lots of gubbins as shown on eBay, called (incorrectly) "start relays"

Refrigeration/4011216598

Could this be the cause of my problem (failed by letting the refridgerant mix) ?

Alternatively, what's needed to verify it as working/not working ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It is a relay, commonly known as a current relay or start relay.

see

for a typical wiring diagram.

The purpose of the current (start) relay is to switch in the start winding on the motor and then disconnect it and power the run winding instead. If the compressor seizes (the usual failure) you will hear the start relay clicking every few minutes as it attempts to start followed by the overload switch shutting it down. When it has cooled the cycle repeats. After a few tens of minutes of this the compressor will be hot (often too hot to touch) as the start winding draws a lot of current.

If you can hear it clicking and the compressor producing no noise and is hot to touch but no cooling is happening it probably isn't the cause. You can listen to the compressor by putting a length of dowel or a long screwdriver against the case with the other end close against you ear.

If there is no clicking and the compressor remains cool it may have failed and trying a new one isn't going to cost a huge amount so may be worth trying.

The relay doesn't connect to the refrigerant circuit so it is unlikely positioning the unit will have any effect except that if you created a fluid lock in the compressor the continued cycling of the current relay may have damaged it.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Thanks for all the detail. Seeing the schematic made sense :)

There is a clicking, but the compressor remains resolutely cool.

Going on the name eBac have for quality, I'm tempted to try a new relay for a fiver ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Does the motor run at all with the clicking? Use the screwdriver/dowel trick from the caseing to your ear, push the end of the screwdriver (handle end!) against the flappy bit in front of your ear canel and flex that to seal the canel. Place the other end firmly in contact with the compressor caseing.

Silence apart from the clicks means that no power is being used, something is open circuit.

Clicks and quiet gentle hum, power is being used but the motor isn't rotating. Seized or hydralically locked?

Clicks and rapid pulsating sound, motor is running and pumping. Note it might not actually run for long if there is oil where there shouldn't be.

I'd be tempted to stop messing about with it put it in the correct orientation and forget about it for a week or so. Give the oil a chance to drain back...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can't you just hot-wire it to see whether the compressor runs?

Reply to
GB

yes but don't leave it on like that, it'll have no protection that's necessary for normal operation. And of course don't power it for more than several seconds if it doesn't start.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It crossed my mind ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Unlike many, I'm aware that a diagnostic fudge is not a permanent solution ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Now that's the kind of advice I can follow :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

OK, so it's had a week ...

Turning it on, the compressor is silent (ear to screwdriver trick) for about a minute. Then there's a click from the relay at which point there's a gentle hum from the compressor in my ear for about half a second. Then the relay clicks and it's silent again.

It *sounds* like it's not getting the extra kick to start ? If so, that's a dead ringer for a failed relay ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In a past life I used to repair refrigeration. What you have just described is classic knackered compressor. Sorry and all of that.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire