Tea Tea Oil as a Solvent?

I have a Pure One Flow Radio. This model has an odd finish, which is like a soft touch matt. After several years- I'm not sure how long I've had it- I bought it when Comet were closing down so a good few years, the finish looked really grubby. I used my usual foam cleaner without any real joy. Then I tried some alcohol which has removed the finish to show a shiny finish over most of the case. No real problem, if I can remove it all. In fact, it will look quite smart, if not better than before. Looking on the internet, it seems this is a known problem with this radio.
Someone has suggested that Tea Tree Oil is the 'magic' way to remove the odd finish. I've only heard of Tree Tree Oil being used for cosmetic purposes.
Has anyone tried it as a solvent or does anyone know if there is a solvent mixed with it?
On 13/06/2018 12:07, Brian Reay wrote:

Since it is a bit toxic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil
I suspect that it might often be sold in diluted form.
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 12:20:50 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

with

Unfortunately wiki talks a lot of rubbish about most alt.med matters.
NT
On 13/06/18 12:20, newshound wrote:

Doesn't sound good but I wasn't planning on drinking it :-)
Having said that, the radio does have patches of the old finish which resemble a skin condition.
When I Googled the problem, I think the Tea Tree oil solution came from 'Mums Net' ;-)
Brian Reay wrote:

We used to put a couple of drops of concentrated ti tree oil on a teaspoon of sugar and let it slowly dissolve in the mouth for bad sore throats.
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 16:04:16 UTC+1, FMurtz wrote:

It's well known that it kills a fair range of infective agents. Huge number s of people have used it for decades without any significant problem showin g up, despite the wikibull.
NT
newshound wrote:

Boots sell it in pure form in 10ml or 20ml dropper bottles.
I just tried some on a cotton bud on some of that horrid soft plastic skin that goes manky after a few years, it did dissolve it as black gunge, not necessarily any more effective than other solvents you're likely to have lurking around though.
On 13/06/2018 12:07, Brian Reay wrote:

It is quite likely cut with a relatively inert non-toxic oil.
Limonene is another pretty good general cleaning solvent extractable from lemon rinds which is why microwaving a lemon cut in half in water is quite a good way to clean the interior of a microwave oven.
I found old brake fluid remarkably good for removing gone horrible tacky soft vinyl plastic finishes off things that had degraded.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 13:16:00 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

ISTR brake fluid will pretty much remove *anything*.
I wonder if modern paint finishes are as susceptible as the older 1980s paints ?
On 13/06/18 13:18, Jethro_uk wrote:

I don't want to damage the plastic or remove the legends (volume, select etc), just the gunge. Alcohol is quite good but needs a fair but of rubbing in some areas- I suspect where the finish hasn't deteriorated. I could removed the innards and soak the case but I'm concerned the display may be a s*d to get back together.
On 13/06/18 13:16, Martin Brown wrote:

Interesting. The little cloth-like cleaners for glasses you can buy from Aldi have a citrus smell. Perhaps they are based on Limonene.

I've used isopropanol (isopropyl alchol) and the solvent uPVC cleaner from Wickes to do this, with some success.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 18th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184