Tesla crashing, but why?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-44460980/this-car-is-on-autopilot-what-happens-next
For brian, its a video of a tesla crashing into a test car made out of what looks like cardboard.
Tesla uses radar detection doesn't it? Is the car a reflector of radar? Its not obvious that it is.
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 16:28:46 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

autopilot-what-happens-next

Amongst other things, I would hope ....
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 16:28:49 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

what-happens-next

A better description of what happened follows.
The tesla if driving along at say about 30 following another car, this othe r cars sees a stopped car in front of it, so gently pulls into another lan e to avoid it, the tesla then continues to drive straight into the back of the parked life size cardboard car.
Personlly I don't understand how this can happen but it seems it has.
This is why and where cognative recognition is needed and the next thing af ter AI, as AI just doens't 'cut the mustard' is the only term I can think o f.

LIDAR IIRC

but it's not a car it's cardboard painted to look like a car.

To the human eye it looks like a car, but it isn't.
What we need to know is did the tesla see it or what did it think it was a low hanging cloud ?
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 09:01:15 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

AI doesn't really exist at the moment. When computers can understand language, I'll be more interested.

Siri and Alexa and Cortana already do.
I have no light switches at all anymore, its all done with movement detectors and a little bit with Siri.
On 13/06/2018 20:31, Rod Speed wrote:

But does Siri only recognise set phrases such as "lights on" or "dimmer up" but fail to recognise "I want more illumination" or "make it darker"?
My in-car speech recognition only responds to a limited set of very specific voice commands.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

It does much more than set phrases and can be surprisingly sophisticated when asking about particular news etc too.
Someone I spoke to on the net uses it exclusively to post to forums and claims that it hardly ever needs correcting. Don’t use it for that myself.
Can be a bit less than ideal when navigating. I still can't get it to navigate to Waugh St in my town. Initially it used to mindlessly navigate to Wall St New York, even tho it obviously isnt possible to drive there from here. Doesn’t let you spell out the name. Now its much better and offers similar names in my town, but still cant manage Waugh St. Gets most other streets right most of the time.

Siri and Alexa do a hell of a lot better than that. I don’t use Cortana yet so don’t know how it compares.
On 13/06/2018 17:09, Jethro_uk wrote:

They very nearly can.
<https://www.newscientist.com/article/2171995-ibms-debating-robot-argues-it-out-with-human-for-first-time/
Andy
On Tuesday, 19 June 2018 21:51:36 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:

An almost 2-metre-tall black panel called Project Debater competed in its first public debate against humans this week and put in an admirable performance.
Should have used it
If they put this in a car I'd be impressed and then see how it argues who has the right of way on a road after an accident. :-)

On 13/06/2018 17:01, whisky-dave wrote:

I would it expect it to avoid running into empty cardboard boxes fallen from a lorry. A human would do so, if possible.

It couldn't see the artic in the first Tesla Autopilot fatality.
--
Max Demian

yep
because there's no way of knowing that the box is empty
tim

Why do we care if a Tesla doesn't avoid a fake car? It's designed to stop crashing into real objects.
On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 20:13:34 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Because it could have been a warning sign saying bridge collapsped. Or if it was a box fallen from a lorry, suerly it's best to aviod a collision with any object and why it didn't try to aviod the object.
But what I'd want to know is why they bothered making a cardboard car surely they could have found a real car to use.
On 14/06/2018 12:12, whisky-dave wrote:

But they already demonstrated that the Tesla would stop for a real car! They needed something it would crash into. ;)
On Thursday, 14 June 2018 13:03:06 UTC+1, GB wrote:

Well why not use a student ;-)

Are they annoying you again?
On 14/06/2018 12:12, whisky-dave wrote:

They knew it would fail and wanted a more dramatic vid than just having a human do an emergency stop.
--
Max Demian

I like the Volvo test where it ran the developer over.

[47 lines snipped]

If it had been a real car, it would have worked. The whole thing is bullshit.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 19th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
On 14/06/18 15:10, Huge wrote:

You *know* that?