Tesla crashing, but why?

It has a SIM slot, but no SIM, so presumably uses an eSIM?

Audi do, for three years.

There is Android Auto build into the 'entertainment' which can stream music from Google Play using the phone's data connection

If you *do* put your own SIM in the car, rather than using the Audi provided data connection, it can make that data available via an in-car WiFi access point for e.g. kids to use for gaming on journeys.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Perfectly possible to ensure that they can't do anything. That has already been done with aircraft and driverless trains and some of the fully automated port loading systems.

Reply to
Jim Ross

Ta

Reply to
tim...

I presume data connections in cars are 'popular' all of a sudden due to the eCall system that's been mandatory in new cars since April having a eSIM/eUICC?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh, really?

Huge

And yet we havent actually seen even a single example of a heavy being remotely hijacked by hackers and flow into the twin towers, pentagon, white house, or Westminster or number 10 either.

In spades with drone strikes.

Reply to
Jim Ross

And were just creating unlikely scenarios to give fodder to the moronic reporters. Seriously, we need to stop the media completely.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The car insurance industry is scared they won't have a business anymore when everything is autonomous and no accidents occur.

10 truck drivers still get in the way.
Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Though I have assumed that would be provided by connection via your phone (which as you are in the car would reasonably be expected to be there, though of course not all phones are blue-tooth connectable.)

If it's done some other way, either the car manufacturers will have had to negotiate a deal with the networks for the whole of the car's life, or it will be at risk of being turned off when a user decides not to pay for access - which is quite likely to be so for owners of second hand low end and possibly even mid-range cars. Only owners of Beemers (and similar) are not going to bulk at a 200 pound a year bill to keep their car "accessible".

tim

Reply to
tim...

but somewhat obviously, finding the way to address both of those points is the purpose of having a trial. If you didn't have concerns such as this there would be no need for a trial.

Not that there seems to have been any progress on actually performing these trials.

tim

Reply to
tim...

Are you really so naive you think self drive cars won't be used as a nice easy way of gathering data? For road usage and so on as well as commercial data? Good luck with that one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why bother when existing ANPR cameras are already doing that? They work on cars with drivers too.

Reply to
dennis

It's like GM foods, too many moralistic idiots getting in the way of progress. We haven't yet left the dark ages.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

How many people actually carry their phone around with them everywhere they go? I have no desire to call or be called every minute of the day. My mobile remains at home unless I'm on a long journey and wish to phone the person I'm visiting on the way in case of delays.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Those aren't in that many places. Knowing exactly where you are at all times is big brother gone mad.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Don't be silly. It's just a way of getting more money out of those buying such cars. Or reducing operating costs for taxis etc.

Of course they'll try and sell it as a safety measure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But surely the last thing a Brexiteer wants is common standards between countries?

If you can buy a really nice car from India which pollutes like hell, why shouldn't you be allowed to?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No they aren't they can't cope with other traffic as well as humans can presently.

The computer couldn't cope, so, compter error , but that was detected so expected the human to take over which he didn't. The human thought he was sittign in a driverless car he brought he was wrong. The computer can;t drive the car, all it can do is assist in some situations, it was NOT a driverless car, it was that simple. Computers are not yet able to drive cars as well as humans. There are certain type of situation where a driveless car are useful bit not all.

what differnce does it make ? AT least if you are in a truely driverless car you could get out and go for a coffee while waiting for your car to come and collect you, if it was a truely DRIVERLESS car, otehr wose you';d have to go back and collect it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

But I think I already know, in that Lidar and radar are both usable for 'seeing objects, but one is far more expensive Lidar than the other radar. Lidar is also about a million times faster reacting than radar. Both have advantages over the other in a truely driverless car both would be used but if you want a cheaper car cut out teh most expensive one obvious isn;lt it consodering they both do the same and that is measuring distance why have two systems ? Well the cardboard car was one way to show the differnce and constructing a car from cardboard sort of explains it to the less knowledgable.

Personlly I'd have stuck a student in front :-)

whisky-dave

And therein lies the problem. The human simply cannot sit for a couple of hours on the motorway not intervening but still maintain sufficient concentration to leap in and intervene instantly when something goes wrong.

Reply to
bert