Tesla crashing, but why?

Insurance *is* discounted for cars with safety systems like auto braking, etc.

There are less accidents and the ones that happen are less sever.

Reply to
dennis

I didn't realise my car had a camera linked to auto-braking when I changed the insurance over, so answered "no" it will be interesting to see if it goes down next year ...

It has three levels of sensitivity, I set it to most-sensitive to see the sort of situations it would detect, it has triggered a warning message 3 times in 3 weeks, but it hasn't applied the brakes yet, in all

3 cases I'd say it was being oversensitive, and would argue it might distract you if it was a genuine case, so I will turn it down a notch.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Insurance companies are always out for growth.

Can you provide figures to substantiate that? I'd say such systems far too recent to have gathered reliable data.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't need to involve a self-driving vehicle to risk that.

Reply to
mechanic

Indeed. I'm not interested in treehugging nonsense.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

What I find amusing is what I assume to be a crash warning. I've seen it on Youtube videos, where the "ping!" noise occurs once it's far too late, usually after the collision has actually occurred. Or sometimes marginally before, where it would probably distract the driver from trying to avoid the crash.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I can't see why they wouldn't reduce accidents. An additional thing (apart from the driver) applying brakes has to be a good thing.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

But things don't go wrong, at least not as often as when a human is in control.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

They very nearly can.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That would have written off $100K of Tesla. An expensive experiment.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

And it wouldn't have caused a collision as the Tesla would have stopped. The point of the exercise was media hype. Seriously people, STOP BUYING NEWSPAPERS, you're just encouraging the f****it journalists!

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

An almost 2-metre-tall black panel called Project Debater competed in its first public debate against humans this week and put in an admirable performance.

Should have used it

If they put this in a car I'd be impressed and then see how it argues who has the right of way on a road after an accident. :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not all cars that drive on roads are Teslas thats the problem driverless cars will be relatively easy to impletemt once everyione drives a Tesla or simialry priced/equiped car. How long will that take, won't be in our lifetimes

Reply to
whisky-dave

Have you ever actually seen a human trying to drive?

I've seen plenty demonstrations of driverless cars working VERY well indeed.

Yeah I tried that in a queue leaving an airshow. My friend went to the loo while I sat in the driver's seat of his car. Then suddenly for the first time in a hour, the queue moved quite a lot. Took him ages to find me.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Yes, have you seen a computer trying to drive.

list-is-killed-11297320

Do you actually know anything about computers beyond the windows OS and a PC envioment ?

On empty roads or with few other real drivers and limted obsticals and simp le roads.

Rememeber the days whebn calculators came out, it wasn't long before those were trusted to give better answers than humans, we dont say to our calcula tors oh don't try that sum it's too difficult get a humans to do it, but wi th cars that is presently the situation. When it's tough the computers want to hand the driving over to humans, why is that ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

It won't take long, they just need to be made by normal companies like Ford, who make cars most folk can afford.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife