Dehumidifier recommendations

I've had an ebac 2650e for about five years and it works well enough, but it's getting a bit too heavy to take up & down stairs so I'm looking to buy a second dehumidifier for upstairs.

Most of the reviews seem to be focussed on features and appearance, so I thought I'd ask the group for their opinions on a decent dehumidifier that works well and is likely to last a few years like my ebac.

Not sure if I want another refrigeration unit or a dessicant, so recommendations for either are welcome.

Reply to
Caecilius

If it's going to stay upstairs, why not a second eBac ?

We have one, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - and the company - to anyone. Top notch product and service.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We use one of these on the boat over winter, SWMBO was so taken with it she got one for the house.

Trouble free and effective

Reply to
fred

Yes, that's one of my options, and it has the advantage that I can buy one type of filter for both.

Glad to hear that others have had good experiences with them as well - it can be difficult to tell if I was just lucky with my one.

Reply to
Caecilius

Thanks for the recommendation - that's looks like a decent dessicant dehumidifier.

I like this bit: "Great for winter use as it warms the air as it dehumidifies". I think that's another way of saying that it uses a lot of energy!

Reply to
Caecilius

Mine failed at 3 years and was still covered by their guarantee. They collected it and delivered it FOC as well as repairing it.

I've been singing their praises where I can. Brilliant to see a British company that can deliver first class service.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

After a bit of looking-around (and I think I asked here) I bought a Meaco DD8L (Which best buy 2014-2018) last year, so far so good

Reply to
nothanks

650W More than i'd want to leave running for long periods.
Reply to
R D S

If on all the time that would be of the order of £800/year.

Reply to
Chris Green

current eBac warranty for a 2650e is /2/ years; £45 extra for 5 years.

Reply to
Robin

When I bought it, the 5 year warranty was inclued. £209 for the lot (including delivery). And having just checked that, I see it failed at 4 years 8 months. So extra top marks to eBac.

Like I said, great to be able to sing the praises of a 100% UK company.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Dry air warms better than damp air so it makes your existing heating that bit more efficient.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have an ebac Homedry, bought 2nd hand in 1988 and shipped out to Fiji where it kept all my camera stuff and assorted clothing dry for

2 years. I shipped it back home and it still works fine. Weighs over 20 Kg though, so only stays upstairs and is trundled about on its castor wheels.
Reply to
Andrew

Have had a Meaco DD8L for about 5 years. It's in the garage/workshop tostop my tools getting rusty. It's plugged in all the time. Every 1/2 hour it turns itself on for a minute and measures the humidity, if the humidity is high it continues to run until the humidity falls to a set value. Has worked well with no problems.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Refrigeration uses less energy, but not effective below around 10C. Usually best to pick refrigeration.

Noise is another consideration.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But you are getting back the latent heat of the water vapour, so the cost of the heat might be more like that of gas than of electricity.

Reply to
newshound

IIRC Latent heat contributes relatively little. Domestic refrigerant models are nearer 200w.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message snipped-for-privacy@x.com, Chris Holford snipped-for-privacy@brownswell.myzen.co.uk> writes

Spraying tools with WD40 would be cheaper:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The Meaco DD8L we have on the boat is connected via short length of hose to a sump pump to keep it running (It would automatically turn off once the 8l tank was full.) It runs effectively in cold weather and certainly freezing conditions don't seem to affect it. In fact the heat it gives off is beneficial

Reply to
fred

A fan heater would do as well as with a temperature rise the RH would go down.

Reply to
Max Demian