Ryobi Planer - AP 10

I have come across a new in the box planer from 1985 that has never been opened. I am wondering if not having been run all these years could be an issue. Any other info on the planer would be helpful.

Reply to
lzoto

lzoto wrote in news:d7741170-ceca-4e93-a9ae-91f24c4910d4 @i17g2000vbq.googlegroups.com:

One common issue is old lube. Sometimes it'll set up and be more like glue than lubrication. Don't take the planer apart more than you have to, but check that the accessible parts move freely and aren't stuck in place.

When testing electronics for the first time, I like to use a power strip with an on/off switch. I turn the device on from the power strip and if anything goes wrong my thumb is still on the switch to shut power off immediately.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If everything moves freely by hand, you should be okay.

Then, give it the old "smoke test" - turn it on and see if it smokes.

I just picked up a used one - it's my first and it works swell. The first time you use it, do so in the driveway. The think makes an unbelievable amount of shavings. Incredible. Absolutely amazing. So much so that one of my cats who was watching the experiement, ambled off shaking his head.

You can get an aftermarket shaving collector into which you can plug your dust collector with really good results.

Reply to
HeyBub

Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something inexpensive and small.

Reply to
lzoto

lzoto wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

Careful... Once you see how much better consistent thickness boards look and assemble, you'll begin every project with the planer. Since I got my planer, the only thing I've put together without dimensioning first has been one-off jigs and things where it doesn't matter how thick the boards are.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Talk him down to $100 and you have yourself a deal. I got a lightly used Griz 13" planer for that and it came with an extra set of blades.

I don't feel it's worth $200. YMMV?

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hmm. I got mine for $100 from a Craigslist ad. Admittedly, I had been monitoring CL for a couple of months 'til I found this low-priced item.

In my case, patience paid off. Your needs may vary.

Reply to
HeyBub

Good idea! And a provident use for a tool that spends most of its time waiting to be of service.

Reply to
HeyBub

I bought one in 1988 and finally sold it in a garage sale earlier this year. I stepped up to a 15" stationary unit. You have IIRC the "Original" bench top planer. It is almost bullet proof. It does have certain problems that were common back then and with less expensive planers today. Snipe can be an issue and it is limited to 10". I would think that if you can rotate the cutter head by hand it will run just fine.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something inexpensive and small.

FWIW I, 22 years ago I paid $289. I would not pay more than $50-$75 for it. There are way too many alternatives on the market today, for a little bit more money they will come with a warranty and many more features.

Reply to
Leon

That seems high to me. I think $100 would be a fair price. Yes, it's "new", but the newer planers are wider, snipe less, have better dust collection, more power, etc..

That said, I've got one I bought in the '80s and it's still running. So it is a good quality tool. I've heard the current Ryobi tools aren't what they used to be.

I recently bought a small thickness planer and now use it for the final

32nd of an inch or so - the AP10, like any planer, will cause a little tearout on some woods and the sanding gets rid of that.
Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That is a pretty good machine, almost legendary. I owned its younger cousin the 12-1/4" machine for about 13-15 years and just passed it on to our son after I bought a heavier duty 15" planer.

But..... $200 seems high even if it is "new". Are you certain it is new and not just cleaned up and in the box again. If truly new, and you don't think you will want to plane wider stock it might be ok in the $150-200 range but there are a lot of wider planers out there now.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I thought it should be $100 or less, but I have to say that I am attracted to it's age. Despite the bells and whistles you get with newer products, the quality of the individual parts, including the grade of steel they used back then, were far superior.

Reply to
lzoto

attracted to it's age. Despite the bells and whistles you get with newer products, the quality of the individual parts, including the grade of steel they used back then, were far superior.

----------------------------------- Whether you spend $100 or $200 is moot in the overall scheme of things, if the planer is a functioning device.

I had an AP10 until someone decided they needed it more than I did.

It always did a good job for me.

If you budget does not support the $500-$600 investment current bench top planers require, then cut a deal for what ever price you can and start using you new AP10.

A year from now, the price paid won't matter.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I thought it should be $100 or less, but I have to say that I am attracted to it's age. Despite the bells and whistles you get with newer products, the quality of the individual parts, including the grade of steel they used back then, were far superior.

Well, when the smoke clears it is still a Ryobi, one of their best products as far as I am convcerned but the age attraction is not necessirily a good thing if you can no longer get parts for it. The rubber cutter head drive belt might be in a bit dry after 25 years and you may not be able to find a replacement. It was well build however, it had a point to prove.

Reply to
Leon

Good point and also check the availability of knives. I am fairly sure you can get parts for it from eReplacementParts.com. I also know of a source in Wichita, KS that will sell Ryobi parts at a very reasonable price; and they don't inflate their shipping and handling. But their knives are also high (below).

During the past few years Ryobi has been slipping and their customer support has gotten worse. When I bought my 12-1/4" machine knives were about $15-18. A few years later they dropped them as a spare part and aftermarkets were selling in the $60-90 range. That, plus the age of the machine, was presenting me with a keep or buy decision. Luckily, for me, Delta sells a set of knives for their

12-1/2" machine that fit fine.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

He emailed me and he has a Grizzly 6" jointer, never used and in the box from the same error. I am waiting for a price on that one.

Reply to
lzoto

I'm starting to get a baaaaad feeling from this...

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- J. K. Rowling

Why? I figured some elderly relative left him stuff.

Reply to
lzoto

IIRC, Home Depot recently had the DeWalt DW735 on sale for something like $275.

Better deals are out there. I agree: for less than $100 ... I might get the Ryobi ... but at $200 ??

I'd be doing that cat-shaking-head-while-walking-away thing.

Reply to
Neil Brooks