dehumidifier

For some reason our house is suffering more from condensation this year, no w its starting to get colder. Probably the influence of the baby and drying more things on radiators, etc. We had condensation on the double glazing a s well as the front single glazed window. So, can anyone suggest a good dehumidifier to use in a typical 3 bedroom ho use. Fairly compact. Must have a 'stat, and just be able to be left on auto matic mode. I suppose it would bleep when a tank needs emptying ... Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Could do worse than look at the ebac range. UK made, 5 year guarantee. Satisfied customer speaking here.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have the Ecoair desiccant type DF122FW Simple:

is compact and OK for one room. I use it for drying on a clothes stand - point dehumidifier's output at clothes, dry in a few hours.

It is automatic (humidistat) and as the controls are "simple" (ie not electronic) you can use a plug in timer with it too.

Option for drain hose out through wall or whatever. It does not go "beep" when the internal tank is full but it does stop and show a red light.

Reasonably quiet on the low fan setting.

Reply to
Tim Watts

now its starting to get colder. Probably the influence of the baby and dryi ng more things on radiators, etc. We had condensation on the double glazing as well as the front single glazed window.

house. Fairly compact. Must have a 'stat, and just be able to be left on au tomatic mode. I suppose it would bleep when a tank needs emptying ...

Get an electronic humidistat for fit & forget, the mechanical ones can drif t a lot.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

, now its starting to get colder. Probably the influence of the baby and dr ying more things on radiators, etc. We had condensation on the double glazi ng as well as the front single glazed window.

m house. Fairly compact. Must have a 'stat, and just be able to be left on automatic mode. I suppose it would bleep when a tank needs emptying ...

r+%28dd122%29/1072981096

Does the desiccant need to be replaced eventually ?

Does it use a continual process, or does the unit need some time "off" to d ry out the desiccant ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I bought three off ebay for between £30 and £40 each. All worked fine (and are still working), all had humidistats and all switched themselves off when the tank was full.

They are all a bit noisy, some more than others, and it's not possible to sleep in the same room when they're on.

Try a search on ebay for local sellers - there's usually loads for sale.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

One side of the desiccant wheel is absorbing damp, the other side is being dried. Its a continuous process. These type machines use about twice the energy of the more popular refrigeration types.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hi

No

It's continuous.

The only "gotcha" is it is less efficient than a compressor based unit.

But it does work to lower temperatures, so can be handy if you need it in the shed or garage on occasion.

Reply to
Tim Watts

, now its starting to get colder. Probably the influence of the baby and dr ying more things on radiators, etc. We had condensation on the double glazi ng as well as the front single glazed window.

m house. Fairly compact. Must have a 'stat, and just be able to be left on automatic mode. I suppose it would bleep when a tank needs emptying ...

worked fine

Ah I guess the desiccant ones would be quieter, although less efficient, wh ich might be what we need. Also, the desiccant ones apparently put out more heat, which would be fine in the colder months. And in the summer we would just open a window ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I'd be inclined to switch them off in bedrooms at night and switch them on again in the morning. Alternatively, if you're trying to dry the whole house, put it in the hallway or somewhere you can't hear it and leave it on.

I've no experience of the desiccant type so I don't know if they're quiet enough to sleep with but their inefficiency can add up to a large electricity bill (my refrigerator types use 150 Watts each).

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I agonised about this for a couple of years -- thought (still do) that it's one of those things that will come in damn' handy now and again.

Jethro (who has replied here) had the same questions as you (and me), and finally got an EBAC 2650E, and a few months later has said he's more than happy with it so far. So finally I got one of those too, and it arrived last week. Amazon - ?220.

After a week's playing with it, I can say: it definitely works! :-) Has removed litres of water from the atmosphere in the house. I'm waiting for the winter months when we don't open doors and windows so much, to see what happens then. I have not run it continuously (don't need to).

My only criticism of it would be that the user guide is pretty useless: basically it says "turn it on and leave it in Auto". It doesn't explain exactly what the different modes are, or how you might use them; seems to assume knowledge on the part of the user. There is a "Quiet" mode, which is indeed quiet (in normal Auto mode there's a quiet rushing sound

-- not very intrusive, I guess); however in Quiet mode it sounds like it's doing nowt ... so why would I use it?

Read the reviews on Amazon (never be too put off by the negative ones, which often seem to be written by people who can't read instructions!).

And finally, for a good objective summary, turn, as always, to this Group's fantastic Wiki --

hth John

Reply to
Another John

We use a compressor type on a boat over the winter and it appears to work fine through all the cold weather. Granted it may not be as efficient but it does keep the cabin dry.

Reply to
fred

ISTR that the damp air generally migrates to the north side of the house and generally that was my experience, so you might like to keep this in mind when placing it

Reply to
fred

What typically goes wrong is that the evaporator encases itself in a solid block of ice, at which point the dehumidifier obviously can't dehumidify anymore. Many have frosting detection, but it often doesn't work.

Once frosted up, and if still running, it will keep itself frosted up.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A common reported fault of the EBAC 2650E seems to be the float switch whic h several people reported as breaking resulting in the unit flooding. Appar ently it is ridiculously flimsy. Any comment on this ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

ich several people reported as breaking resulting in the unit flooding. App arently it is ridiculously flimsy.

Any comments on the Ecoair ECO20LK D220, see

or un-snipped:

ml

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

which several people reported as breaking resulting in the unit flooding. A pparently it is ridiculously flimsy.

html

Well that has apparently been discontinued (stock still available) and repl ace by this:

Some reviews say the fan stays on all the time even when then unit switches off an auto mode, which if the case if a stupid design decision. But its v ery hard to find out if this is true or just user error ...

Reads the manual ...

Oh its a combined dehumidifier and air purifier, and the manual implies tha t you cannot have the dehumidifier mode without the air purifier being on, and I bet in auto mode the air purifier is always running, thus the fan. If so, aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh! What is wrong with designers ?

I may send them an email to try to check this out.

I often find a product that is fine but wrecked by a single "feature".

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

ich several people reported as breaking resulting in the unit flooding. App arently it is ridiculously flimsy.

Well it is well publicized that this has a 5 year warranty so maybe the fra gile float switch does not matter so much. And it seems to be a unit that simply does what is supposed to do ... Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

(I noticed those reviews too, at Amazon) No comments on this. Not sure that I can _see_ the float switch actually, since the reservoir is black plastic.

I bought the machine for occasional use, and so far I've done the odd "test run" for a few hours: it certainly works, but has never accumulated more than one litre (i.e. nowhere enough to test any float switch).

I always treat machines according to how they're made: this one is elegantly made of plastic, and the fit of the tank into the front is a little intricate (although sublimely simple). I therefore remove and replace the tank with care: I sometimes wonder how disgruntled reviewers on Amazon treat the items that they've bought!

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

No need to see inside, just fill it up with more water from the tap before you empty it and make sure that the little grey tab at the back swings down.

Then make a point of flipping the tab down by hand each time you empty it. If it doesn't swing freely up and down in the normal manner then it may have gone faulty so check again by filling with water.

Also confirm that the red LED comes on each time you remove the reservoir indicating that the electrical part of the cut-off is functioning.

Reply to
Mike Clarke