Dehumidifier or PIV

I have a slight black mould situation in a pantry, no evidence of dampness just the result of condensation. I am considering either a dehumidifier or PIV and appreciate members opinions.

Our house is a two bed roomed detached bungalow, cavity wall insulated, 280 mm of loft insulation, UPVC double glazing throughout albeit a mixture of o ld and more modern Windows and centrally heated. Currently ventilation is by opening windows. Domestic management favours a dehumidifier mainly from what she has read regards drying laundry on an airer. Myself, I am leaning towards a PIV mainly on the very low running costs, maybe it's the miserly tyke coming out of me. I have done some research but have not been able to come down one way or the other regards meeting our needs.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

s just the result of condensation. I am considering either a dehumidifier o r PIV and appreciate members opinions.

80mm of loft insulation, UPVC double glazing throughout albeit a mixture of old and more modern Windows and centrally heated. Currently ventilation i s by opening windows. Domestic management favours a dehumidifier mainly fro m what she has read regards drying laundry on an airer. Myself, I am leanin g towards a PIV mainly on the very low running costs, maybe it's the miserl y tyke coming out of me. I have done some research but have not been able t o come down one way or the other regards meeting our needs.

dehumidifier has lower run costs, see the wiki page

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Tricky Dicky scribbled

drying laundry on an airer. Myself, I am leaning towards a PIV mainly on the very low running costs, maybe it's the miserly tyke coming out of me. I have done some research but have not been able to come down one way or the other regards meeting our needs.

These work okay, but I don't believe you can buy or install them yourself

Jonno

I just recently bought an Ecoair simple dessicant humidifier (£139) and more than delighted with the results. on laundry mode (full power probably around 12p an hour) it sure pulls the moisture out the air. On a more comfortable setting it doesnt come on much. You will however have to kill off the mould first and then a humidifier should keep it under control.

Reply to
ss