mould on window frame -- how to clean before repainting?

Hi Chaps,

Several or my bathroom and kitchen windows have black mould ingrained into the crevices which just wiping will not clear.

What's the best way of getting rid of this prior to repainting?

Steam cleaner? bleach? is any particular cleaner recommended?

I'm tempted to use the dettox mould and mildew cleaner because it does well in my shower, but will it wreck the paintwork and will it stop the mould re-appearing from underneath?

I also have some hardwood (mahogany) window frames at the front which have mould ingrained,I guess a bleach on this might wreck the colour, how best to re-varnish. I think it was just coated with cetol7 before.

Thanks as always for any advice.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

always use a special mould killer otherwise you are just treating the surface and it will re appear

I use the ones designed to treat walls before masonary painting

Most of the sheds stock one

You will of course be making sure that the riooms have beteer ventilation in future :-)

Reply to
jim.arnold

I can't help with the immediate problem but when it's been resolved I suggest you install some ventilation to prevent recurrence.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

OH well, I was hoping there was some arcane ritual or cleaning process to remove mould that you guys could tell me about :-)

I tend to keep the windows locked to keep the burglars out....

I'll get some masonry mould stuff then...

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

bleach and a toothbrush..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are other ways to ventilate.

The windows in our kitchen and in our bathroom do not open but there's no mould in either room.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hmm, now I'm imagining drilling holes in the tiled walls--- not really something I'd be looking forward to.

I'm curious as to how you could ventilate without major construction work.

I guess I'm just a slob who doesn't wipe down all her wall surfaces after each shower.... I'm sure I can't be the only one with this problem :-)

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Nobody in this house wipes down the walls except as a preparation for decorating - every decade or so.

Isn't there an airbrick somewhere high in your wall?

If so, put a fan in it, preferably one which works when the rh reaches a certain level.

If not, it's hardly major construction work to make a hole large enough for an extractor fan.

If your kitchen has a door to the outside you could open that a little when cooking with water. Yes, even in a blizzard (not that we get many of those). It's what I do. Spouse says I should turn on the extractor hood but that uses power.

Try cooking with lids on pans and for shorter times with less water. Or use a steamer so that several things are cooked at once using the same amount of water.

There are lots of solutions, they just need a bit of thought. If you get rid of the mould without correcting the source of the problem it will come back.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yep I do most or all of those things already!

to be honest the kitchen isn't that bad, it's the shower room that gets most steamy and mouldy. I suppose I could get a fan put in but that involves part p and I want to avoid that.

I was just trying to find the best way of cleaning up before re-painting so I didn't get the mould up back through the new stuff.

I promise to do more cleaning (an open the window) when I've re-painted! :-)

dedics

Mary Fisher wrote:

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

If you used a duct-mounted fan in the loft that wouldn't involve Prat Pee as there wouldn't be any electrical work in the bathroom.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

er - I thought you said the window wouldn't open ...

Mary Fisher

Unfortunately, the shower room is on the ground floor under a flat roof, thus my reluctance to mess with it, until I need to get the flat roof replaced -- and my reluctance to unlock and open the window because of ease of entry for burglars, because I'm sure I and the rest of my family would forget to close it at some point and then the insurance for contents would use this as an excuse to not pay out.

Basically I need to get this clean before I can paint and then look after it better. Maybe a vent in the window itself could be the solution.

thanks for all your suggestions, I think I've got a view on it now.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Vent in the window could be the way to go. Have you also thought about a dehumidifier? Our home - 25 yo old was part d'g and cavity insulated when we purchased new. We had problems with condensation, aprticularly with the north side which we had quickly secondary glazed after we moved in. Initially, we had the dehimidifier placed on the landing as I'd thought that the major problem was related to the bathroom bathing little nippers, etc. After eradicating the excess moisture which was causing mould between the secondary glazing on both the glass and to the timber window frames, I moved the dehumidifier into the kitchen. The Difference - it cured the problem, was not working mega hours and I don't think was responsible for any glaciers melting - I do watch my energy bills! We also are diligent in Keeping Doors Closed - though SWMBO'd will use the radiators from time to time to dry clothes!

A dehumidifier in the hallway? Could also protect the timbers in the flat roof!

Reply to
Clot