How to clean a high window?

I wonder if anyone has advice on how to clean a sash window which is very hard to access from the outside? Are there tools that would help with this?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

If both sashes move freely to their maximum, it can be done from the inside with a chair and fairly long arms.

Reply to
stuart noble

You mean other than (a) ladder (b) one of those window cleaning kits with poles (c) get the windowcleaner to do it (d) strictly for the more adventurous - abseil from the roof

Reply to
mogga

If both sashes open correctly, you can do the 'bottom' outsides of both sashes by sitting on the sill, and the tops off a step ladder from the inside. It's a bit fiddly, but possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh for the days when sash windows opened inwards for that very purpose ..... Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

In addition to the other suggestions, you can also get a gizmo consisting of two matching flat mops, which stick together courtesy of magnets within... you put one mop flat against the glass outside, and the other mates up with from the inside - then off you go, cleaning both sides of the window at once. We've got a mini-sized one of these for the goldfish tank which works pretty well.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks. I've heard of this device, but never actually seen one. I'll look around for it.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

That's more or less what I do at present. The sashes don't in fact open completely - the bottom doesn't go completely to the top, and the top doesn't go completely to the bottom. I guess I could take them out and plane them.

Also there is a rather frightening sheer drop onto a roadway, which is really why I am looking for a simpler method.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Does the bottom sash swing on hinges, Tim?

Reply to
BigWallop

Try the Kleeneze catalogue, or Betterwear.

Reply to
robert

Read the funny story here on this subject some years ago:

make sure you get the Mk II model which has a piece of string connecting the two halves in case the outside one drops off onto something/someone expensive.

Also, no doubt someone will be along shortly to expound the delights of pressure washers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Doran

The string helping to ensure that only the wet sponge bit of the outside cleaner falls all the way to the ground ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

How high is it? I can reach upstairs windows with my foaming hot brush on a pole, but I've only got a 2 storey property.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It's on the top floor of a 4-storey building (an old orphanage), so I think anything on a pole is out of the question.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

What exactly is this please and wher do you get it? I have 2 storey so could be useful to me.

Reply to
robert

Go to the floor below, tie your legs to something heavy and hang out the window.Oh...and keep a mobile phone handy.

Good Luck. ;-)

P.S. Don't actually try this.

Reply to
StealthUK

The standard old method is to sit on the sill, legs inside, torso outside - but I should use a safety harness if you try that one. Even then you can only reach some bits.

One can remove the inner beading and replace it using a removalble fixing, then you can remove the inner bead and lift the inner sash out, making life relatively easy. Any suggestions for the best way to refix the bead?

The magnetic cleaners are standard aquarium kit, but you need to add more water than they will hold so the loosened dirt actually washes off. Only requires a jug to rinse.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I used to do that in my youth, but I have decided I am now too valuable to the world to lose.

Actually, this is what I do; I've screwed on the wooden slat holding the window, and just unscrew it to allow the window to come into the room, But I was wondering if there was a simpler solution.

I'm still trying to locate a magnetic sponge; that is the best solution I have read.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy