How to clean outside of white aluminum gutters

Three years ago, I posted the message below. At that time, I had tried full-strength Simple Green with no luck. Forgetting what I had tried back then, I again applied full-strength Simple Green, on a paper towel, to a test area. For whatever reason, all the gray streaks disappeared immediately this time.

So I filled a spray bottle with SG, squirted it as a stream, not spray, onto the gutters, waited about 10 seconds, then used a dustpan brush to swipe the sprayed area a couple of times. Clean like magic. Follow up with a generous hose spray of water.

Also removes stubborn gray stains from fascia boards. (They looked like mildew, but even full-strength bleach or Fantastic didn't remove them.)

Just remember to wear eye protection.

R1

*********************************************************** November 16, 2009

They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides, and gray spots on the bottom where water flowing down the sides accumulate in "puddles" along the bottom outside corner.

I've tried the following, applied with a saturated paper towel to small test areas:

-- full-strength bleach

-- full-strength Simple Green

-- full-strength white vinegar

-- full-strength TSP substitute

-- 91% rubbing alcohol. Some improvement, but labor intensive to do all

158 feet.

-- paint thinner

I've also tried the following:

-- spray gas log cleaner

-- spray Fantastic

-- a mix of bleach with Oxydol laundry detergent, applied with brush. Makes some improvement.

-- a mix of 1 part Simple Green, 1 part bleach, 2 parts water, applied with a sponge. Makes some improvement.

I haven't tried ammonia, since I don't have any in the house.

I admit that I haven't had the patience to wait 5 to 10 minutes for any of the above to work. I was hoping to find something that I could apply with a dust-pan brush and have the streaks magically disappear immediately. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Rebel1

Gray streaks are most likely oxidation from bare aluminum...not any form of dirt. Painting would be the answer.

Reply to
Norminn

I should have been more specific as to which Simple Green I used. It was the House & Siding product, in a 128-oz size which I transferred to the smaller spray bottle I used to spray the gutters.

In checking HD and Lowes, they do not sell this product. They do sell Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner. I bought the 32-oz size in a spray bottle. It definitely is not as good as the House & Siding product. It does the job, but you have to use more product, wait a little longer before running a brush over it, and after hosing off the first application, apply it a second time.

On my step ladder's platform, I place a bucket half filled with water and place the brush in it after brushing each section of gutter.

From their website,

it's a little tough to find the H&S product if you don't live near a Sherwin William paint store. Here in NJ, there are plenty of them.

Even if you wear eyeglasses, don't rely on them for protection from the spray. Use also dedicated safety glasses.

Reply to
Rebel1

Wonder if it cleans mold off shingles on roof. I was looking at white aluminum gutter underside, moldy looking spots also. Same garage.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Actually, those black spots are caused by algae.

Rebel1

Oxygen bleach ! I use it frequently, not because it makes oxygen, because it makes hydrogen peroxide.

Thanks for the details. Oxyclean to the rescue.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Please don't paint them unless the original paint is worn through.

Watch this -

Buy here -

jwilson.smi

I've had good luck with Formula 409. Wet the gutters with water, spray with 409, rub with non-abrasive "kitchen Sponge" and rinse. You may need to repeat on heavily streaked areas.

Reply to
Bob

Interesting. When I used Fantastic, I found if I didn't spray it on before the surface got wet with water, it didn't work very well.

I think they changed the formula and now it makes me sneeze or something , so I switched to 409, but I also quit cleaning so I don't have much data on it. Still, I think they're approximately the same.

Reply to
Micky