I found tiny rounded black spots (which I assume is mold or mildew)
growing inside my toilet tank. I cleaned the inside of the tank with
ammonia (didn't want to use Clorox near rubber seals). But a month or
so later the spots are back again.
How can I keep the inside of my toilet tank free of mold and mildew once
and for all? Would it be safe to just pour ammonia into the toilet tank
and let it sit for a while, or might that damage the toilet?
Thanx in advance!
-- Steven L.
whatever you do dont use ammonia and then add bleach.. if you do the
fumes are toxic... cant remember what it was called, but in 1st. year
college chemistry class the instructor stated that the old time ladies
used to use it all the time and some would hit the floor with the fumes
and never get up....
According to the Minnesota department of health.......
(complete article at: Www.homeinspectionsystems.com/Consumer%20News.htm )
Clean Surfaces - surface mold growing on nonporous materials such as hard
plastic, concrete, glass, metal, and solid wood can usually be cleaned.
Cleaning must remove and capture the mold contamination, because dead spores
and mold particles still cause health problems if they are left in place.
. Thoroughly scrub all contaminated surfaces using a stiff brush, hot water
and a non-ammonia soap/detergent or commercial cleaner
. Collect excess cleaning liquid with a wet/dry vacuum, mop or sponge
. Rinse area with clean water and collect excess rinse water
5) Disinfect Surfaces (if desired) - after cleaning has removed all visible
mold and other soiling from contaminated surfaces, a disinfectant may be
used to kill mold missed by the cleaning. In the case of sewage
contamination, disinfection must be performed -- contact the Minnesota
Department of Health for appropriate advice.
. Mix 1/4 to 1/2 cup bleach per gallon of water and apply to surfaces where
mold growth was visible before cleaning. The solution can be applied with a
spray bottle, garden sprayer, it can be sponged on, or applied by other
. Collect any run-off of bleach solution with a wet/dry vacuum, sponge or
mop. However, do not rinse or wipe the bleach solution off the areas being
treated -- allow it to dry on the surface.
Always handle bleach with caution. Never mix bleach with ammonia -- toxic
chlorine gas may result. Bleach can irritate the eyes, nose, throat, and
skin. Provide fresh air (for example, open a window or door). Protect skin
and eyes from contact with bleach. Test solution on a small area before
treatment, since bleach is very corrosive and may damage some materials.
Get one (not a two) of those in tank cleaner tablets and use it, that
should take care of what is there. Don't keep using those things on a
regular basis, they can damage the working parts of your toilet.
BTW don't get too worried. It is not likely to be a harmful mold, but
you can never tell without testing.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.