Crack in a basement wall - new construction

recently noticed a crack (abt 1-2 mm - [1/8 inch] wide) starting from the top of the basement window corner, to the floor, (in a townhome for which I signed an agreement of purchase about 4 months ago). As per all accounts, it probably is a shrinkage or settlement crack. Is it normal to have a crack so soon in the life of a home?

The settlement date is just 2 weeks away, and I want to make sure that I am not sitting on a lemon. Even if there are no structural issues, what impact does this have on the resale value? I have paid 5% upfront - should I try and get out of the deal, or should i force the builder to do a better jop of the repair? He is only willing to patch it up from the inside, with a epoxy/rubber sealant.

Any help will be really appreciated!!!!

Sam

Reply to
sam

[...]

Probably minor but I would have a engineer look at it and the whole house before closing. Probably cost only a few hundred dollars. Why screw around????

One thing I see all the time in homes with siding is a large cavity under the bottom row of siding. Check with a mirror. If you hired someone it would probably cost a grand to caulk it up to keep air and BUGS out. Bugs can just walk up the foundation wall, slip under the siding and get into the house. Check for it and tell the builder you will not close until the gap is filled. Will also help prevent freezing pipes.

Reply to
Art Begun