Yet another smart meter question

I'm being continually bombarded by letters and phone calls from both my gas and electricity suppliers to install second generation smart meters. I'm reluctant to get one for my electricity, as I envisage a time when they may use it to throttle or even cut off the power for short periods when it suits them. But I don't see how that could happen with a smart gas meter; it could be dangerous if the supply were cut and then restarted. Am I right, and would a smart gas meter actually inconvenience me in any way (although I can't see any real benefit either, as the existing meter is outdoors and gets read once a year by the meter-maid, and once a year by me. I think having a smart meter would obviate the need for one of those readings, but I understand they have to check it annually anyway)?
--

Chris

On 08/02/2020 09:54, Chris Hogg wrote:

Had this email from SSE recently: <q> As part of our customer care, we want you to be aware that your energy meter will need to be replaced by the end of 2024. Instead of waiting until then, take the opportunity today to upgrade to the new generation of SMETS2 meters.
We’re currently offering a smart meter installation at no extra cost from 17 February 2020. </q>
I'll wait to 2025ish and see what happens then.

I had the same last week. As the latest type of meter is still smart when you to change supplier, I might go for it next time I get a letter.
--
Ian

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 10:39:12 +0000, Ian Jackson

We were at Mums the other day when a meter reader turned up and we gave him access to the meters.
He asked us if we knew about smart (electricity I'm assuming) meters and left us a card.
He did confirm that the meter would be the latest spec but I'm not sure what advantage one would be to her (at nearly 90), living on her own?
Cheers, T i m

No need to let anyone in to read the meter, stupid.
On Saturday, 8 February 2020 10:05:22 UTC, Richard wrote:

The gas pipe network stores something like 3 days' gas supply, so there's no mileage in varying tariff by time of day. With electricity there is, and I'm sure it'll go that way at some point. There are several downsides to electric smart meters.
NT
On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 10:05:19 +0000, Richard

I only have electricity, and a smart meter. I hear that smart meters can be remotely cut off, but after researching mine this does not seem to be possible. It would need a bulky switch to cut off the maximum expected current.
--
Dave W

On 09/02/2020 11:47, Dave W wrote:
<snip>

What's the model? I ask as all were supposed to be capable of remote discnnction. And even a wee little smart meter can be switched to pre-payment.
--
Robin

General Electric SGC1311 communication section + SGM1312 meter.
--
Dave W

On 11/02/2020 23:24, Dave W wrote:

that has a 100A relay and supports remote disconnection/connection
<http://www.aclara.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/SGM1300-Smart-Energy-Meter-Brochure-Aclara.pdf
--
Robin

Thanks for the link, which didn't work. I navigated the site and got as far as: https://www.aclara.com/products-and-services/smart-meters/sgm-residential/sgm-1300/ which states "integrated 100A switch" on the "more information" tab, but the link to their brochure on the "resources" tab is 404 not found.
I found it by Googling for the pdf, which directed me to https://www.aclara.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/SGM1300-Residential-Smart-Energy-Meter-Brochure-Aclara.pdf
So now I'm in fear and dread like everyone else of being cut off through some software fault!
The brochure contains the following words about communication, which others have queried on this thread:
Intimate Communications Hub Comprising HAN and WAN Technology GPRS WAN with Internal Bi-Directional Antenna Supporting DLMS COSEM (Optional Module to Support External Antenna Variant) Zigbee HAN 2.4 GHz Supporting SEP V1.2 HAN and WAN Compliant with SSWG UK Extensions Local Optical Port - IEC 62056-21 (physical)
--
Dave W

On 12/02/2020 15:54, Dave W wrote:

Sorry about the link. I can't explain it. But glad it provided a crumb for Google to follow.
--
Robin

It wouldn't be that difficult to do if the swich was spring-loaded and didn't have to be turned on again remotely. But a *really* smart meter would bide its time until you weren't drawing much current!
--

Roger Hayter

On 10/02/2020 00:40, Roger Hayter wrote:

wouldn't take them long to learn how much to leave on to stop such a *really* smart meter cutting them off! So I suspect they'll stick with relays that can break/make 100A.
--
Robin
On Monday, 10 February 2020 11:14:01 UTC, Robin wrote:

Anyone that leaves 20A load on all the time in the vain hope of avoiding being cut off is a true idiot.
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 11:13:57 +0000, Robin wrote:

meters

seem

maximum

Doesn't seem to be a problem for E7 switches.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Economy 7 doesn't switch any power, it just has two different totals for different times of use.
--
Dave W

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 23:06:19 +0000, Dave W wrote:

Oh yes it does, it switches the supply to the storeage heaters. In the case of our (small) system that's about 11 kW.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 00:12:27 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Some implementations do some don't
NT
On 12/02/2020 00:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:

To be fair, both statements can be true. Some installations just have a dual rate meter, but no actual load switching capability. Others have a switched output that typically feeds a secondary CU with the night storage heater load on it.
The switched arrangements have fallen from favour due to the lack of flexibility - i.e. you can't do top up heating during peak rate so easily of the circuit is "off" at the time etc.
--
Cheers,

John.