Yet another smart meter question

But at least you die warm :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

So if there is enough incentive in reduce tariffs based on time of use, I wonder where the break even point is that makes it worth buying your own "powerwall" or similar and charging it off peak?

Reply to
John Rumm

I did query the EDF sales droid that was trying to flog me a smart meter, and he claimed that they now used a dedicated network and not the normal mobile one. Not sure if that is the case generally or area specific though.

Reply to
John Rumm

If item, (3) here

true you can't have a smart gas meter without a smart electricity meter.

"Check your gas and electricity meters are less than 32ft (10m) apart. Smart gas meters can only send their signal a short distance, and they need to be able to talk to your electricity meter to send readings to your Bulb Account. If they?re further apart, we won't be able to install smart meters yet."

Reply to
Graham Harrison
<snip>

I've no idea. But I have seen household battery sets discussed as a way to avoid granular data on usage being used to identify when a home is unoccupied. You program the battery to be charged in a pattern that looks as if someone is in. Same can be done with thermal store (electrically heated as they'll all be when the goes is turned off!)

Reply to
Robin

"North" uses dedicated network. "South" one of the mobiles.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wondered if it might have been a SMETS2 MESH network.

Reply to
Robin

Could save on funeral costs too if the bang was big enough :-)

Reply to
Andrew

You can't put daily consumption into batteries for a week, it's not doable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We are fairly "south"... and they said not mobile.

Reply to
John Rumm

How would that be powered?

Reply to
Max Demian

The idea is not just to charge the battery but also to draw on it. And not to expect to match the pattern of - say - a family with teenage daughters and electric showers, just do enough to conceal the signature of an unoccupied home. Like most security, it'd be risk mitigation, not risk removal.

Reply to
Robin

At the risk of stating the obvious, there is zero point charging the battery only to then discharge it before you get back. The only difference between that and powering up appliances directly when you're away on hol is that it wastes battery life.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It wouldn't be that difficult to do if the swich was spring-loaded and didn't have to be turned on again remotely. But a *really* smart meter would bide its time until you weren't drawing much current!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Excellent idea. ;-)

We can do the same with those who voted Leave (it's all traceable) and if it ends up costing all of us, *they* can be taxed to offset the cost.

They needn't worry of course, given how confident they all seem to be that 'everything will be ok'.

Anyone who actively increases the cost of living, or reduces the quality of life to others for bogus / selfish reasons should be charged [1] for it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] And certainly not gain from others, like the FIT thieves.
Reply to
T i m

The gas is cut off, no air can get into the gas main upstream of it. A condition can arise when aflame travels along a gas pipe drawing the air it needs in after it.

Reply to
harry

I'd be up for that if it cuts both ways, ie if remainers get charged for the costs they inflict. Of course IRL the results of leaving are always going to be debated.

remainers should definitely be charged then.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Burglars also like to know when homes are regularly empty because people are at work, school etc. (And most burglaries happen during the day, not at night.) But taking your "away on hols" case, a battery set (which you've got anyway to survive the brave new world) let's you /shift/ usage so the smart meter reports a different profile. Eg use by fridge/freezer/server/PVR/background heating can be made to look more like someone making breakfast, lunch etc. In contrast powering up appliances (heaters plugged into time switches?) directly when you're away seems to me to increase your total use.

Reply to
Robin

wouldn't take them long to learn how much to leave on to stop such a

*really* smart meter cutting them off! So I suspect they'll stick with relays that can break/make 100A.
Reply to
Robin

It could, but of course the point of batteries in that situation is to do the exact opposite, to shift consumption away from those peak times to during the night.

obviously. Equally obviously so would charging a battery to the tune of normal daily use day after when you're not using its output. IRL of course the charger will just refuse to do it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr