Yet another smart meter question

Anyone that leaves 20A load on all the time in the vain hope of avoiding being cut off is a true idiot.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Really? It wasn't their idea in the first place so why should they be responsible for any Brexit related costs?

Really? I would hope that the results wouldn't be able to be questioned and the gains would be visible and enjoyed by all?

Wasn't that the point or was it just some 'cutting your nose off to spite you face / principals' thing?

Nope. Remaining is what we would have done if we had done nothing so remaining is no ones fault, especially if there is no *good reason* to do anything else.

So far *no* 'good reasons' and especially balanced reasons have been offered to leave and I guess why only 1/3rd of the electorate voted for it.

If a third of a walking group decide they know a better route and force everyone to take it, the fact that they all live or get there a bit quicker is no compensation if there was also the chance that everone could suffer. This is in the light of there being no clear evidence or proof that the group would be likely to suffer on their existing path.

Remember, the Leave / Remain choice wasn't a natural fork in the road, Leaving was a 90 degree turn, up a blind alley, brought about by a vocal minority for reasons only they seem to consider worthwhile.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

maximum

Doesn't seem to be a problem for E7 switches.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If Mr Burglar wants to know if I'm home, he'd be better off seeing if there's a car on the drive, or if I answer the doorbell, than looking at my electricity consumption.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Unlikely, the communications provider (outside the Arqiva dedicated network area) is Telefonica i.e. O2

Reply to
Andy Burns

But it's always helpful to narrow down in advance which driveways (or doors) might be worth physically checking. With access to smart meter data, the initial pool of potential targets could easily be in the hundreds of thousands, out of which you can pick the likeliest for further investigation. How long does it take to drive past a hundred thousand houses in your car, or knock on a hundred thousand doors?

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul

I'm curious about the proposed information route from the electricity supplier to the burglar.

Very tempting for the Police to set up such a service and see who responds:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If you follow such things (e.g. on TheRegister.co.uk), there is more than ample evidence that very many organizations are utterly incapable of either securing their computer systems or keeping stored customer data out of the hands of hackers. Further, makers of internet-connected devices are equally incapable of making their devices secure, and frequently ship products containing stupid security blunders.

Why should power companies, and their "smart meters" be any different?

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul

whoosh

Surely it's obvious there will always be differing opinions on how things would have gone had we stayed, and also obvious that the results of brexit are known future outcome minus expected non-exiting outcome. Oh, it's you I'm talking to.

junk snipped

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes dedicated, but suffering the same signal strength difficulties as the normal mobile network.

Reply to
Dave W

Economy 7 doesn't switch any power, it just has two different totals for different times of use.

Reply to
Dave W
<snip>

Ah, sorry about that, I'd explain it to you but you would understand it no better.

Only to a Left brainer possibly ...

Those opinions would only be based on the RW for the hear and now and opinions on predictions. No Brexiteer I knew was making any such predictions, other than the status quo was doing ok.

Except there is no known Brexit future outcome is there (other than us leaving the EU, potentially in name only)? You still don't have the slightest idea just how much of what you thought / hoped you were voting for you will get.

The *big* difference is that you and your kind were trying to change the status quo based on your predicted beliefs, the Remainers weren't trying to change anything.

No, it's me you are *still* talking *at* (because you are a left brainer).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

General Electric SGC1311 communication section + SGM1312 meter.

Reply to
Dave W

Oh yes it does, it switches the supply to the storeage heaters. In the case of our (small) system that's about 11 kW.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

that has a 100A relay and supports remote disconnection/connection

Robin

Some implementations do some don't

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

To be fair, both statements can be true. Some installations just have a dual rate meter, but no actual load switching capability. Others have a switched output that typically feeds a secondary CU with the night storage heater load on it.

The switched arrangements have fallen from favour due to the lack of flexibility - i.e. you can't do top up heating during peak rate so easily of the circuit is "off" at the time etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

And that was a pain in the bum in the small barn conversion office I rented for a number of years. Cosy in the morning unless I'd turned off because I was out for the day. Progressively colder by the time I was going home but useless if I was working late.

I CalorGas heater was the standby.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I can't see why one would pay the higher standing charge and considerably higher off peak price for an E7 supply unless you were going to be using a lot in the off peak period. "A lot" is approx

2/3rds of your total consumption in the 7 hr off peak period to break even over a cheap non-E7 tariff.

The modern "high heat retention" units have normal and switched off peak supplies. The normal supply powers the electonics but also the "boost" heating of a kW or so.

Apart from night storeage heating, what other useage would be economical on an E7 tariff?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Water heating as in having a heated water tank, and charging a car.

Reply to
whisky-dave