Storage: which kind of Bags

Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a ladder and sorting it and then putting some back. Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to carry up and down the ladder, but i think most are now probably 'degradable' and will soon fall apart into a thousand pieces. Are there any plastic bags (maybe some bin bag types or similar?) that will not be degradable, that any one knows of ?

IKEA or Lidl 'big' bags? You don't have to fill them.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
john west wrote:

I guess the supermarket "Bag for life" types are going to be reasonably long-lived, though they aren't free.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
On 08/02/2020 12:08, Chris J Dixon wrote:

They are around here as people throw away their rubbish in them: I retrieve them if they are clean.
--
Max Demian

On 08/02/2020 14:19, Max Demian wrote:

AFAIK, only Tesco were stupid enough to introduce disintegrating bags, which they later replaced with "normal" "single use" bags prior to the clampdown.

You can then "accidentally" rip them and swap them for clean ones when you visit the respective establishment, with the side effect of the bag exiting the landfill dead end and (theoretically) entering the recycling chain.
On 09/02/2020 11:11:13, John Kenyon wrote:

Around here it was the Co-op, and not Tescos.
On 09/02/2020 11:50, Fredxx wrote:

A few years ago Ryman gave away bags which told you to reuse them but they disintegrated if you kept them more than a few months.
--
Max Demian

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 11:50:08 UTC, john west wrote:

Depends on the type of "junk" - the "vacuum" bags are good for squashable things like bedding.
Owain
On 08/02/2020 12:25, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Be careful with some of these. After a while they leak, and as the air re-enters the contents expand again.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 12:35:15 UTC, alan_m wrote:

so you have to suck them flat again before you can get them out of the loft hatch :-)
Owain
On 08/02/2020 13:21, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Or when packed high in the loft pushing off the tiles :)
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 12:35:15 UTC, alan_m wrote:

A vacuum is a hard thing to maintain, and a thin plastic bag with a zip top not much of a barrier. If you need the clothes to stay compressed, vacuum them down then bind them with a few wraps of tape. You don't need the vacuum any more then.
NT

I’m not sure that any supermarket bags are “oxy-degradable” any more. I know we certainly used to have a problem with supermarket carrier bags disintegrating in the loft but in recent years our Christmas decorations have stayed with their bags. ;-)
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 08/02/2020 12:29, Tim+ wrote:

We recently went to M&S and the cashier commented about the old M&S plastic bag that we were using for our shopping - that's when we realised that it was a bag that we'd recently retrieved from the loft, where it had been protecting towels since we were given them, when we got married in 2002!
SteveW

Young whippersnappers! We have bags from Saudi and Omani shops acquired in the 1970s and 1980s, we worked in both countries for several years. We got married in 1972.
--
Chris Green
·

On 08/02/2020 21:49, Steve Walker wrote:

Did it say 'Over 90% of our clothes are made in the UK' ?.:-)

They always did even when not biodegradable.

The replacement long life shopping bags obviously.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/105l-moving-bag_p384099
Smaller sizes are available.
--
Roland Perry